Upgrading to Windows 8. Want to make a new SSD master, and slave my old HDD.

levinsona

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I have a Samsung 256gb SSD, and a 1.5tb HDD. There is too much important info on the HDD to delete, have no drive large enough to save it with, and just want to upgrade from Win7 to Win8.1 . I am knowledgeable about computers, but am very inexperienced with bios and os and the such. I built the computer myself, and am confident with moving components in and out.

Solution
Well as far as Master Slave goes that does not work with SATA there is no more master/slave setup with SATA like there was with IDE it is long dead. The only real thing we have to worry about now is plugging the SSD into the SATA III ports and making sure that AHCI is enabled in the BIOS for the best speed of the SSD. While it does not really matter with standard hard drive's it does with SSD's.

So plug the SSD into the first SATA port on the motherboard some times listed as SATA 0 or 1 depending on the motherboard. And then plug the HDD into the next port. From there make sure AHCI is enabled, look to your motherboard manual for the correct location in your BIOS. After that boot your Windows 8 USB or DVD and install. The rest should...
Well as far as Master Slave goes that does not work with SATA there is no more master/slave setup with SATA like there was with IDE it is long dead. The only real thing we have to worry about now is plugging the SSD into the SATA III ports and making sure that AHCI is enabled in the BIOS for the best speed of the SSD. While it does not really matter with standard hard drive's it does with SSD's.

So plug the SSD into the first SATA port on the motherboard some times listed as SATA 0 or 1 depending on the motherboard. And then plug the HDD into the next port. From there make sure AHCI is enabled, look to your motherboard manual for the correct location in your BIOS. After that boot your Windows 8 USB or DVD and install. The rest should be no problem.

Solution

Latest posts