Upgrading to XP-Pro

I am currently running XP Home Edition and want to upgrade to XP Pro.
I've read the instructions for quick upgrade and am a little fuzzy about
what to choose for configuration settings. Currently I have my computer
connected to a DSL modem and am using a Belkin router to give my husband
wireless internet access. We don't have any need for file sharing and
don't access each other's computers. My primary interest in upgrading
is to be able to test ASP pages on my computer before uploading to a server.

So I'm not clear what to do when the instructions talk about specifying
a domain or setting up a peer-to-peer network.

I do have an old computer running Win 98 that I might like to connect to
my computer. Is this possible or will the different file systems be a
problem?

Is there an FAQ I should be reading that addresses these questions?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Sande

Sande wrote:
> I am currently running XP Home Edition and want to upgrade to XP Pro.
> I've read the instructions for quick upgrade and am a little fuzzy about
> what to choose for configuration settings. Currently I have my computer
> connected to a DSL modem and am using a Belkin router to give my husband
> wireless internet access. We don't have any need for file sharing and
> don't access each other's computers. My primary interest in upgrading
> is to be able to test ASP pages on my computer before uploading to a
> server.
>
> So I'm not clear what to do when the instructions talk about specifying
> a domain or setting up a peer-to-peer network.

Unless you have a WinNT, Win2K Server, or a Windows Server 2003 to act
as a domain controller, this question is moot. You can create only a
peer-to-peer network.

> I do have an old computer running Win 98 that I might like to connect to
> my computer. Is this possible or will the different file systems be a
> problem?

Certainly. The file systems on the various computers communicating
over a network are completely irrelevant, as none of the individual
computers' operating systems ever directly access the other computers'
hard drives. Instead, a computer sends a "request," if you will, for the
desired data, and the operating system of the host ("receiving")
computer accesses its own hard drive (whose file system it obviously can
read) and then sends that data back to the requesting computer as
neutral packets of information that are completely independent of the
file systems on the respective computers. For example, don't you use a
Windows-based PC (whether it's FAT32 or NTFS) to access data stored on
the Internet's mostly Unix servers, which use a completely different
file system?

> Is there an FAQ I should be reading that addresses these questions?

On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to access
the designated shares, provided your network is configured properly.
Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled (or set to
allow exceptions) on the internal LAN connection.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Since you have been using Home you are not on a domain. Leave the default
to workgroup. If you have set up a home network it is an infrastructure
network and you can provide the workgroup name or not as you wish during the
setup.

"Sande" <none@verizon.net> wrote in message news:0lPze.90$rC4.4@trndny03...
>I am currently running XP Home Edition and want to upgrade to XP Pro. I've
>read the instructions for quick upgrade and am a little fuzzy about what to
>choose for configuration settings. Currently I have my computer connected
>to a DSL modem and am using a Belkin router to give my husband wireless
>internet access. We don't have any need for file sharing and don't access
>each other's computers. My primary interest in upgrading is to be able to
>test ASP pages on my computer before uploading to a server.
>
> So I'm not clear what to do when the instructions talk about specifying a
> domain or setting up a peer-to-peer network.
>
> I do have an old computer running Win 98 that I might like to connect to
> my computer. Is this possible or will the different file systems be a
> problem?
>
> Is there an FAQ I should be reading that addresses these questions?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
> Sande

Thanks for the information. I will back up my files and give it a shot.
Sande

Sande wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I will back up my files and give it a shot.
> Sande

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers