[SOLVED] Upgrading trusty old rig - mobo, CPU, GPU - would welcome advice

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi,

I've long been a fan of tinkering and upgrading rather than buying a rig out of the box, so it's that time now (you'll understand why! It's more a major overhaul as I actually need to replace, well the whole thing bar storage!)
I like squeezing a lot of mileage out of seemingly dated kit but here is where I am at currently (and bear in mind I'm a gamer, though I typically run 2-3 years behind the latest releases):

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz [needs upgrading]
Mobo: Intel DQ67SW (SKTH) [needs upgrading]
Memory: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz [needs upgrading!]
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 [needs upgrading]

Storage:
232GB SSD - OS [OK]
447GB SSD - games etc [OK]

EDIT:
PSU: Antec NeoECO Modular 650W Modular Power Supply 80 Plus Bronze

Monitor:
ASUS vx279hg [OK]

I used to always go for AMD (ATI) but I switched to Nvidia a while back and have been pleased with the lack of bugs etc and the on-going performance.
Similarly I think I'd prefer to keep with intel processor as that i5 2400 performs way above what it should on paper (no end of games systemrequirements lab says I shouldn't be able to run well).
However open to suggestions on both. My monitor is freesync but I have read Nvidia now allow compatibility for that.

Reasonably, what kind of budget am I looking to upgrade, not to future-proof, but to get to a 75-100 fps on some of the latest games with decent graphics - a BIG aim is to run Mount & Blade II Bannerlord without issue when it comes out.

I figure £400-£500 (£150 CPU, £150-200 GPU, the rest on memory and mobo) but my problem is compatibility between mobo and processor etc where I am a bit of an ignoramus.

Any ideas welcome. I only game 1-2 hours a day - I'm a family man and get pangs of guilt every time I consider splashing out (wouldn't this money be better spent taking the wife and kids out somewhere nice for the day?) but considering the Mrs just threw money around for her birthday I now have the excuse I have been waiting for :D

EDIT: I absolutely don't mind using (carefully sourced) second-hand components. I got 2nd hand RAM a few times and it's been absolutely fine.

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited:
Solution
For gaming is the Ryzen 3600 a very nice choice so if you have the cash would it be a good idea. If you want to save money and shops around you sell the Ryzen 1600AF could you go for that too. Reviews about it can be found,it's a new version of the Ryzen 1600 derived from the Ryzen 2600.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
If you reply to your own thread might it look that someone is busy with it.;)

Anyway,bundle look good to me.haven't really checked,but the RX 580 look good to me. For a little more could you get the RX 590.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-8-gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx590gaming-8gd

Have a good psu?

Thanks, I am a bit gormless at times!
Having spent the wkend pondering I think the processor was overkill for me as I only game (no Photoshop or other processor intensive applications)
Now I'm deliberating AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Vs 2600X.
Probably worth the bit extra for 2600x but I rarely overclock. Will start a separate thread for that!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming is the Ryzen 3600 a very nice choice so if you have the cash would it be a good idea. If you want to save money and shops around you sell the Ryzen 1600AF could you go for that too. Reviews about it can be found,it's a new version of the Ryzen 1600 derived from the Ryzen 2600.

Solution

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Thanks - I can't seem to find the 1600 AF around but will search harder! Reviews certainly look promising

TRENDING THREADS