Upgrading two PCs from integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajacr

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compaq Presario CQ5215LA

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: November BUDGET RANGE: under USD $200 +-10%

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe CS 5 master collection; mathematical and scientific computing software; professional eletronics simulators, watching movies and cartoons; Real Time Strategy-Tactics games; Grand Theft Auto 4, Portal

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Integrated graphics Intel GMA 3100; Power supply 180W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Pentium Desktop Processor E5300 ( it will be changed to a Core 2 Duo E8600 ); motherboard MSI MS-7525 (Boston-GL6); Chipset Intel G31 Express; 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon.com; provantage.com; ebay.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: First time buying a GPU, I have had ATI integrated graphics and had way too many troubles getting them to work on linux, but also I have not had the chance of using an ATI GPU on linux, I don't know if it is easier than with the integrated graphics.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: The motherboard does not support neither of them

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768, 17 inches CTR monitor(FLAT)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Expansion Slots:
One PCI Express x16
Two PCI Express x1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Custom built

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: November BUDGET RANGE: under USD $200 +-10%

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe CS 5 master collection; mathematical and scientific computing software; professional eletronics simulators, watching movies and cartoons; Real Time Strategy-Tactics games; Grand Theft Auto 4, Portal

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel X4500HD graphics media accelerator; Power supply 500W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, motherboard Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H; Chipset Intel G45 + ICH10R, 2GB DDR2 800 MHz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon.com; provantage.com; ebay.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: first time buying a GPU, I have had ATI integrated graphics and had way too many troubles getting them to work on linux, but also I have not had the chance of using an ATI GPU on linux, I don't know if it is easier than with the integrated graphics. But any recommendation that you could give a about a maker I will appreciate it.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: The motherboard does not support neither of them

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768, 17 inches CTR monitor(FLAT)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Expansion Slots:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
1 x PCI Express x1 slot

Playing games is not a priority on both PC but I do like playing them with nice settings not at full settings because I know I have to look for a High-end GPU, but playing games at low settings without freezing, decent look and with a nice flow of the game, I will be happy.

After reading Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2010, I would buy these:
Radeon HD 5750
Radeon HD 5770
GeForce GTX 460
Radeon HD 5830

I don´t know what exactly I have to look for if they are compatible with my motherboards. Also I've read about the GPU bottlenecking the CPU I don't understand how this happens and if with these GPUs I would like to buy will bottleneck any of my systems.

Thanks for reading, and I will take into acount any advice you could give me.

Solution

Helltech

Distinguished
If you would buy the GTX 460 get it, but its REALLY overkill for that resolution, and since you don't care about maxing out games its even more overkill.

I'd save yourself some money and get the 5770.

Now if you plan on a monitor upgrade in the foreseeable future get a 460 1GB version.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
That resolution doesn't really demand too much from a GPU....the 5770 would be good enough for your setup, but you should go for the 5750, since you're looking at a good upgrade. Besides, it'll keep you going for a good while.

bajacr

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
:)

Hi, thank you very much to all of you that respond. :bounce:

I pretty much get your ideas, but what you mean by "overkill"?. I notice all of you only base on resolution, but I would like to know a little bit of technical data.

You mention if I will upgrade the monitors, well, that's been in the plans, but I have had problems with the viewing angle of the LCD monitors. changing the colors and brightness with just moving, that fatal when you are working with images or pretty complicated PCB floorplanes. LCD monitors without that problem or at least pretty well minimaze it have outrageous prices.

I really would like to increment my current resolution but now it's difficult to find 22 inches CTR monitor or bigger. Unlees you could give an advice on LCD monitors that have that problem minimaze it at reasonable prices?.

Nobody mention about compatibility and bottlenecking, that's because of ...?

Finally what brands would you recommend me for that GPUs? and if someone has some knowledge dealing with linux a grapchis cards.

Thanks again. :hello: :)

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
If your upgrading your monitor I recommend a 22 or 24" LCD Monitor with Full HD(1920x1080 pixels) There pretty cheap these days and look amazing.

Once you have one of these screens to can increase the resolution, which means everything looks smaller, and usualy more natural and you can get more detail especially with widescreen monitor(I wouldn't recommend buying a LCD monitor if its under 22" or isn't 16:9 widescreen with full HD resolution as a minimum)

This of course means your graphics card has to process more pixels and more effects and therefore is used more and you therefore need better graphics cards.

bajacr

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Excellent Decode, I asumme you have one of those you mention. How is the viewing angle? If you move, the colors in the screen change in some parts of the monitor?

Iwas taking a look at this Asus, but I'm still worry about the viewing angle, that effect when you are working with photoshop, its terrible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

If it is for a monitor, I could take the advice of some monitor on someone tha really use Photoshop seriously.

Overkill is when you use a powerful card on a lower resolution.This doesn't show your VGA's true potential,therefore you won't see its real power on low resolutions.
Most new monitors have good viewing angles,if you get a monitor with 1080p resolution,then go with GTX 460,its the best VGA in the cards that you are considering.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.