[SOLVED] Upgrading video cards in a PowerMac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireStormRecords

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
I have 2 Sapphire X1650 Pro PCI Express cards and I just ended up with a decent powermac g5 I was wondering if these cards will work, I've tried to find an answer with no luck any one know if they will work even if its just one? And if so does it offer an improvement over the factory card?

Solution

If the cards are meant for a PC they will most-likely not work in your Mac. I believe the card's BIOS would need to be flashed to be Mac compatible...especially since you don't have an Intel based Mac.

Since we don't know what the "factory card" you have is we can't say if a Sapphire X1650 would be better (if you were to somehow get it working).

halcyon

Splendid

If the cards are meant for a PC they will most-likely not work in your Mac. I believe the card's BIOS would need to be flashed to be Mac compatible...especially since you don't have an Intel based Mac.

Since we don't know what the "factory card" you have is we can't say if a Sapphire X1650 would be better (if you were to somehow get it working).

Solution

FireStormRecords

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Actually We covered the factory card as well as the current card a few posts up i' am going to go a head and look for a different card and go ahead and rebuild the system I had the two sapphires in originally.

FireStormRecords

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

I originally posted this before I signed up and thought it hadn't posted so I posted again and when this popped up I assumed it was from that line of conversation. just now realized what happened so trying to figure out how to close this post or remove it

Status
Not open for further replies.