Upgrading Vista laptop to W10

damnation12

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
I have a Samsung 240 gb sad and a Windows 10 retail usb thumb drive. Also I have a 1tb portable usb Drive.
WHAT IS BEST way to upgrade my HP 9500 DV laptop w/ 2 240gb hd while retainingas many apps as possible,in, office 10, ACad12, photoshop, elements, etc.

There's no way to directly go from Vista to 10 so the easiest way is to first upgrade install Win 7 or 8.1. After that, upgrading to Win 10 is still free when you use either the executable from Microsoft's assistive technologies webpage online, or the USB stick made by the media creation tool (from inside Windows--not by booting from it!) if 7 or 8.1 is activated.

Presumably if you have a retail Win 10 key, you still need to install 7 or 8.1 but don't need to activate it, so just enter the key when installing 10 (again, from inside Win 7 or 8.1).

I've upgraded from XP to Win 10 before, but keep in mind upgrades must remain in the same branch: 32-bit or 64-bit. The incompatible programs are flagged and you can uninstall them before going ahead with the upgrade. I suggest uninstalling dotnet 4.x before you begin because the automatic repair each time takes longer than installing the OSes, and 10 comes with it already.

There's no way to directly go from Vista to 10 so the easiest way is to first upgrade install Win 7 or 8.1. After that, upgrading to Win 10 is still free when you use either the executable from Microsoft's assistive technologies webpage online, or the USB stick made by the media creation tool (from inside Windows--not by booting from it!) if 7 or 8.1 is activated.

Presumably if you have a retail Win 10 key, you still need to install 7 or 8.1 but don't need to activate it, so just enter the key when installing 10 (again, from inside Win 7 or 8.1).

I've upgraded from XP to Win 10 before, but keep in mind upgrades must remain in the same branch: 32-bit or 64-bit. The incompatible programs are flagged and you can uninstall them before going ahead with the upgrade. I suggest uninstalling dotnet 4.x before you begin because the automatic repair each time takes longer than installing the OSes, and 10 comes with it already.

There is no upgrade path from Vista to Windows 10.
- you must buy Windows 10 license;
- you must do clean install;
- this laptop is pretty old, with Core2Duo or AMD Turion. While these will run Windows 10 (providing you have enough RAM), there is no guarantee
- you can't expect Windows 10 drivers from HP.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

There is no direct upgrade from Vista to Win 10.

This will require a full reinstall of the OS AND all your applications.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS