Question Upgrading Wifi on Asus K55V with AR5B125 card, +?s (Pics)

tryingtobebest

Reputable
Feb 14, 2021
HI, ive got an older Asus laptop but its an absolute beast, ive got it brand new back in 2012, since then upgraded to SSD and to 16gig of ram, so it runs perfectly on Win 7 Home premium except few issues:
#1 im thinking to upgrade wifi card because it was was loosing reception for some reason but now after me taking it out to make some pics and putting it back in, it work flawlessly for few weeks straight (issue is not happening)... But anyway, my card is AR5B125 and if id go with newer one which one you guys would recommend? My own research tells me to go with AC8265 card but issue with it that it has a mounting opening in the middle of the top border but my AR5B125 have two openings on the top in the sides... how do i go about mounting any newer card with hole in the middle??? Very unclear to me

Also while on the subject of the wifi, i have designated entertainment PC that runs on the B550M-Plus (WiFi) mobo that has build in wireless wifi, so my question is can i connect to 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time but from the same source - router that sits in the basement? Connect simply without doing a crazy modification or running crazy soft!? (Win 10 64)

Pics:
My ori is on the left, ive found a card from a friend - AR5BHB92-H which i though to upgrade, but its even older than mine

GQJRVOfl.jpg

cfzbKygl.jpg

The card I think you are describing with a center connector is the newer M2 based devices. Your card is a half height mini pcie card. Those use completely different connectors.

If you search you can find cards that are 802.11ac and are the proper size/format. The much larger issue is finding drivers for old OS. Your largest challenge is finding a card that has drivers for windows 7. This is even a concern for windows 10. Some of the very newest wifi cards only support windows 10 running in 64 bit mode not 32.

Your best bet on a old machine is to try a USB stick based wifi card but even those have driver issues. I guess it depends on if you are using this portable or if you could use the ethernet port to hook to say powerline networks or if you are desperate to a wifi repeater.

Not sure on your other question. Your pc only has 1 radio chip so it can't actually connect to the 2.4 and 5g radio at the same time. Let say you have 2 nic cards even then you can't connect to the same network, you can with a lot of effort connect to 2 different networks.

Reactions: tryingtobebest

tryingtobebest

Reputable
Feb 14, 2021
^Not center connector, its a center mounting hole for a screw to secure it to motherboard....

Thanks for a reply, nice eye, i haven even thought that AC8265 (most recent Win7 wifi card) would be different than mine, but even on photos they do look different size.. ( And i indeed need to look for "MINI" wifi card...

EDIT: So i have to look for "MINI PCI-E card"?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
HI, ive got an older Asus laptop but its an absolute beast, ive got it brand new back in 2012, since then upgraded to SSD and to 16gig of ram, so it runs perfectly on Win 7 Home premium except few issues:
#1 im thinking to upgrade wifi card because it was was loosing reception for some reason but now after me taking it out to make some pics and putting it back in, it work flawlessly for few weeks straight (issue is not happening)... But anyway, my card is AR5B125 and if id go with newer one which one you guys would recommend? My own research tells me to go with AC8265 card but issue with it that it has a mounting opening in the middle of the top border but my AR5B125 have two openings on the top in the sides... how do i go about mounting any newer card with hole in the middle??? Very unclear to me

Also while on the subject of the wifi, i have designated entertainment PC that runs on the B550M-Plus (WiFi) mobo that has build in wireless wifi, so my question is can i connect to 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time but from the same source - router that sits in the basement? Connect simply without doing a crazy modification or running crazy soft!? (Win 10 64)

Pics:
My ori is on the left, ive found a card from a friend - AR5BHB92-H which i though to upgrade, but its even older than mine

GQJRVOfl.jpg

cfzbKygl.jpg
The main thing is that you have to sure about if the upgrading to AC8265 will support or not!
cause you can easily find AC8265 WIFI card in aide screw version in online site... there is two version... one is middle screw and 2nd is side screw... dont need to worry about only confirm if this upgrade will work or not... coz i have same laptop asus k55vm, and i am thinking to upgrade my wifi card to AC8265 too but i am not sure it will support or not... 😊😊😊