[SOLVED] Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 and moving boot drive to SSD?

BDMann

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2012
I would like to install an SSD in to my older computer that is still running windows 7 and have a few questions. I would also like upgrade to windows 10 in the process if possible. I am thinking of purchasing a 500GB or 1TB WD Blue SSD to add to my desktop that currently has 2x 1TB HDDs. I would like to have the SSD be the boot drive and install one or two current games I am playing.

What would be the recommended order of operations for this upgrade? Update to windows 10 first, then add the SSD? Add the SSD first then upgrade to windows 10?

Is it possible to update to windows 10 and make the SSD the boot drive while still retaining the data I have on my existing HDDs that will stay in the PC? Will I be able to run the programs/games and access files stored on the HDDs with the operating system now on the SSD? Can I delete the windows 7 on the HDD after this is all done?

I guess I really just am unsure what to do here and I've tried doing some googling but am perhaps confusing myself more. I appreciate any links, videos, or help!

Solution
You currently have two 1TB drives installed. One will have the Windows 7 OS installed on it. We'll call that drive A and the other 1TB drive B. The new SSD, we'll call drive C

1. Identify all data files (pics, mp3s, movies, documents, spreadsheets, etc...) on drive A and move them to a space on drive B.
  2. Export your browser favorites and/or e-mail folders to a space on drive B.
  3. Shut down your computer, disconnect drives A and B and attach the drive C (the SSD). By disconnect, I mean just remove the SATA cables.
  4. Insert your Windows 10 installation media, boot the system and install the OS onto the SSD. It is important that no other drives are detected by the system during installation.
  5. Update drivers and reinstall...

Wolfshadw

Titan
You currently have two 1TB drives installed. One will have the Windows 7 OS installed on it. We'll call that drive A and the other 1TB drive B. The new SSD, we'll call drive C

1. Identify all data files (pics, mp3s, movies, documents, spreadsheets, etc...) on drive A and move them to a space on drive B.
  2. Export your browser favorites and/or e-mail folders to a space on drive B.
  3. Shut down your computer, disconnect drives A and B and attach the drive C (the SSD). By disconnect, I mean just remove the SATA cables.
  4. Insert your Windows 10 installation media, boot the system and install the OS onto the SSD. It is important that no other drives are detected by the system during installation.
  5. Update drivers and reinstall programs/games that you use.
  6. Shut down your system, reconnect drives A and B and reboot.
  7. Format drive A to remove the old OS installation.

-Wolf sends

Solution

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
My first advice would be to have a very good quality SSD drive just for the OS and programs. SSDs lose performance, if you save and delete frequently.
Also consider that every time you need to back up or create an image, you will need a drive of the same size! Having a 1TB or 2TB drive may not be productive or cost-effective.
There are several alternatives for what you want to do, but it depends on time and knowledge.
OP1.Clean Installation > If you have the W10 license, do a clean installation on the SSD as Wolfshadw said, remembering to disconnect the HD where the W7 is installed.
Side effects are having to go through all that MS account hassle, install and re-register programs, and resolve driver conflicts.
OP2 Convenient if you don't have a W10 license, but a W7 registered.
Although laborious, It will work.
The advantage is that you will have the W7 running perfectly on HD until the installation is successful on the SSD.
Create two partitions on your HDD where the W7 is installed. (one of 240GB for example, for the operating system and programs and the other for the rest.)
Temporarily move the "rest" to another HD and delete that partition on the original HD, leaving only the W7 and installed programs.
Now you clone this partition the SSD.
After that, remove the HDD with the W7 and boot from the SSD.
Make sure you have an MS account with login, password and phone number activated.
Now update W7 to W10. There are several tutorials on the web that still work. (If you have Macrium or EaseUS you can clone only the system partition, avoiding having to move and delete the other partition)
OP3 Fast. You need to have Macrium and a hard drive of 250GB available. Create in this blank HDD, an image of the partition where W7 is. Disconnect the HDD with W7. Restore the image from the HDD to the SSD.
Boot from SSD and try to upgrade to W10;
Note that in OP2 and OP3, as W10 will be associated with your MS account, you can download the MS Tool and do a clean install again anytime.