Upgrading Windows 98 to Windows 2000

I have Windows 98 on a computer using a FAT 32 hard
drive. I have an upgrade version of Windows 2000 Pro. I
want to migrate to Windows 2000 and upgrade the hard drive
to a larger NTFS format drive. If I buy a new large hard
drive, will I be able to boot using the Windows 2000 pro
upgrade CD, then format the new drive in NTFS format and
finally load the windows 2000 operating system onto the
new drive? How will I show the upgrade installtion
software that I have a previous version of Windows? Is
this too much to ask of the Windows 2000 upgrade software?

Thanks for any feedback,
John Serlemitsos

John Serlemitssos wrote:

> I have Windows 98 on a computer using a FAT 32 hard
> drive. I have an upgrade version of Windows 2000 Pro. I
> want to migrate to Windows 2000 and upgrade the hard drive
> to a larger NTFS format drive. If I buy a new large hard
> drive, will I be able to boot using the Windows 2000 pro
> upgrade CD, then format the new drive in NTFS format and
> finally load the windows 2000 operating system onto the
> new drive? How will I show the upgrade installtion
> software that I have a previous version of Windows? Is
> this too much to ask of the Windows 2000 upgrade software?
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
> John Serlemitsos
Either I am missing something or you should first copy your Win98
partition onto your new drive (you will need to then boot from a
diskette and enter sys c: so that Win 98 will boot), and then run the
Win2K disk. This should work without any problem. You will have the
opportunity to convert to NTFS at your leisure once this is done.

--
John Doue

dl

Boot from win2k disk, when it asks for qualifying product insert cd/floppy
and point to it.
Theres no need to have qualifying product installed