Upgrading Windows XP Home Edition

I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
2005 edition or XP Professional.
Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
installed software applications.
Any help would be appreciated
--
The Tokolosh Man

In news:FD4711AF-C6BB-47AF-A239-AE506516E1A9@microsoft.com,
tokolosh <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to
> upgrade
> this to XP 2005 edition

There has been only a single version of Windows XP, whether Home
or Professional. There have been two service packs, and if you
haven't installed them, you should install SP2. But there's no
real upgrade necessary, and there's nothing to buy. SP2 is free.

> or XP Professional.

If you think that XP Professional is in some way *better* than XP
Home, that's not the case. XP Professional and XP Home are
exactly the same in all respects, except that Professional has a
few features (mostly related to networking and security) missing
from Home. For most (but not all) home users, even those with a
home network, these features aren't needed, would never be used,
and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

> Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all
> currently installed software applications.

By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation)
means that all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.

However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly.
However unlikely, it's always possible that something might go
wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup
of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.

And in all probability, there's no need for you to do any upgrade
at all.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You can do an upgrade installation. No need to reformat.

"tokolosh" <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to
XP
> 2005 edition or XP Professional.
> Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
> installed software applications.
> Any help would be appreciated
> --
> The Tokolosh Man

Yes you can upgrade from Windows Home to Pro without data loss. Check here
for a few tips that can ease the process
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

tokolosh wrote:
> I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade
> this to XP 2005 edition or XP Professional.
> Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all
> currently installed software applications.
> Any help would be appreciated

1) There is no such thing as "Windows XP Home 2001" The first edition had
a version of 2002.
2) There is no such thing as "Windows XP Home 2005" (though you could
argue that Windows XP Home SP2 is 2004)
3) The only version of Windows which has a version number of 2005 is
Media Centre, which is available as OEM only, which would mean you'd have to
format to install it.
4) What makes you think you need XP Pro? Unless you plan on networking
more than 5 PCs, or have need for advanced security, or IIS, then you're not
missing anything.

"tokolosh" <tokolosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
>2005 edition or XP Professional.
>Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
>installed software applications.
>Any help would be appreciated

If you install Service Pack 2 for your existing XP Home then you have
the latest available version.

You can download Service Pack 2 from the Windows Update site, or you
can order a CD from Microsoft.

There is zero difference in performance or stability between Windows
XP Home and Windows XP Professional. The two versions are compiled
from the same source code base. The only differences are in certain
features and functions which are unique to XP Pro and are not included
with XP Home. Unless you have a known or anticipated requirement for
at least one of those features or functions that are found only in XP
Pro there is no benefit to be had by upgrading to XP Pro.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"tokolosh" wrote:

> I have a 2001 edition of XP Home Edition and would like to upgrade this to XP
> 2005 edition or XP Professional.
> Can this be done without reformatting the hard and losing all currently
> installed software applications.
> Any help would be appreciated
> --
> The Tokolosh Man

I had the same problem.. Easy to fix.
Install New install when asked do not format partition install in same
partition will work..Great I just upgraded .
You can't just upgrade as recomended because you probably have Home ED sp1
installed on many store bought computer but you will not lose data.
Hope this Helped.
DatCat