[SOLVED] upgrading windows xp to latest version of windows

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i want to upgrade my windows xp to the latest version of windows which i'm assuming is windows 11. I've done a basic google search and it's telling me to install either vista, 7 or 8 then windows 11. can someone please clarify this and provide detailed steps

Solution
Short answer, do not do that.
Long version, if your computer is running XP, it is quite likely that your hardware does not support windows 11 requirements, which can and possibly will cause trouble later on.

main problem with upgrading is drivers, while most common ones are included with windows itself, it is possible that some parts are not.
This is the only reason to do tiered upgrade, which kind of keeps old xp drivers to 7/8 and from there to 11, downside is that without registry hacking or doing clean install, you cannot install windows 11 on unsupported hardware.
Short answer, do not do that.
Long version, if your computer is running XP, it is quite likely that your hardware does not support windows 11 requirements, which can and possibly will cause trouble later on.

main problem with upgrading is drivers, while most common ones are included with windows itself, it is possible that some parts are not.
This is the only reason to do tiered upgrade, which kind of keeps old xp drivers to 7/8 and from there to 11, downside is that without registry hacking or doing clean install, you cannot install windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
As I recall, there was no "upgrade" from XP. You needed to perform a full install of the new OS (correct me if I'm wrong).

If that is the case, then you need to determine what hardware your system contains and then check the support web sites for each component and see what the latest OS they offer drivers for.

-Wolf sends