Upgrading x4 880k

graemeneilan

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Hi I need some info please. I built my first gaming rig over 1 year ago which is : x4 880k, crossblade ranger, rog genome, 16gb ram, patriot blast 500gb ssd, 500gb HDD, gtx 1060 6gb. I've overclocked my cousin to 4.6 MHz and on most games easily hitting over 100 FPS. I think I have won the silicone lottery because my cpu rarely goes over 50 degrees thanks to the deepcool aio that came withe the genome, but my question is what to upgrade to ? Do I go for ryzen+ gen or wait to see if intel go 8c 16t ?

Solution
Sounds like you won the silicon lottery with that OC. It's hard to say what to upgrade to next unless your unhappy with the performance, personally I would hold onto the system until I disliked the performance then consider the upgrade. Hardware always changes so what we could recommend now may not be the best choice in lets just say 6 months.

If you do want to upgrade now what is your budget?

WildCard999

Titan
Sounds like you won the silicon lottery with that OC. It's hard to say what to upgrade to next unless your unhappy with the performance, personally I would hold onto the system until I disliked the performance then consider the upgrade. Hardware always changes so what we could recommend now may not be the best choice in lets just say 6 months.

If you do want to upgrade now what is your budget?

Solution
Wish i had the money to build a new rig 1 year after my old one (Well my 8320@4.5 has been going strong for 4 years i think now? with no need to upgrade for quite a while)

With that said the 880k is pretty much the best you can do on FM2+. You might as well go Ryzen or Intel after that and you will have to get new Mobo, CPU, and RAM. Everything else you could still use.

graemeneilan

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thank you for your answers. It's not that I have the money, I was going to by a bit at a time. Cpu, ram then mobo and i don't think I wouldn't have to upgrade anything else apart from maybe my PSU because I'm still using a cheapo ( powercool pcxtreme 650). And as I'm still new to this I have no great comparison. It has taken me about 5-6 months making my cpu stable as overdrive keeps rebooting pc. This is the first time I've spoken to experienced gamers like yourselves as everyone I know has no interest. My crossblade ranger has come with probs as it had voltage thing going on. I sent it back hopefully it's all good now as I'm still using old mobo (A88xm-plus). My first monitor I bought as advertised on Acer website as having g-sync (xb240h) but I didn't and after a month's worth of arguments with Acer they gave me a free upgrade to (xb241h). I usually don't have much luck so I was almost dancing with that small mercy. Even when I do finally upgrade I'm keeping my x4 880k as it's still my baby. I really appreciate your time as I said, I have no other to talk to about rigs. If I have any other probs could you answer again ? As you were so prompt with response. Thanks.