Status
Not open for further replies.

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hello!!

I had a XFX Geforce GTX 295 for about 2 years now and it suddenly stopped working. I pretty much think it's dead!

My computer config is as follows:

Core i7 920
6GB DDR3 1333 triple channel
MoBo MSI X58M
2x500HD Seagate
PSU Seventeam 850W

Since my old graphics died I'm buying a new one. A read a lot of reviews here and I decided not to go on a high-end one since I don't have PCI-e 3.0 (only 2.0)...

I read about the HD5850 being a good one. I found a MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II for 322 dollars (the cheapest place I could find here in Brazil). Is that a good deal? And is that a good graphics or should I go for another model?

I plan on playing SC2, Diablo3, BF3... But I usually don't go for the max graphics, just 1080p with no AA...

Any help would be good!

Thank you all!!

Don't worry PCI-E 3.0 cards will pretty much won't be bottlenecked by the 2.0 slot.

Your GTX 295 would be faster than the card that you're going to 'upgrade', the 5850. So it's pretty much a downgrade. If you want to upgrade take a look at GTX 580/7870.

If you want this just for a temporary change or just to make your system work, 5850 at $322 is pretty much a bad deal (well at least in my place). I don't know how GPU prices are in Brazil, but would you show your options on GPU?

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Thanks Energy96!

I wonder if there's a GPU with similar (or even better) performance than my old XFX GTX295 that will not cost to much! I would like to spend as little as possible...

Thanks!

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
refillable,

Answering your question, a EVGA GTX 580 here (again, cheapest place I could find) is about 710 dollars! (yes! I'm not smooking!). Being a brazilian and living in Rio de Janeiro hurts you sometimes.. Heheheheh

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Prices and the currency scale differently around the world I mean America is not the be all and end all there is a big huge world around it you know LOL. OP 5850 is a good enough card to play games on but being that prices are different in Brazil than from where I am which is Canada it is hard to gauge what a good deal is for you in you economic part of the world. Please repost with American/Candian currency prices so that I or we can make a more informed decision.

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
The problem here in Brazil is the import taxes.. It's almost +80% more on stock price. And them after that we have the seller profit.. So yeah... I'm pretty much sure that's correct.

monsta,
That price is from mercadolivre.com.br, a kind of ebay here in Brazil.

Refillable,
6950 - XFX 6950 2gb --> 463 dollars
7950 - Sapphire 7950 3GB --> 813 dollars
7850 - Sapphire 7850 2GB --> 600 dollars
GTX 570 - EVGA GTX 570 --> 526 dollars
GTX 560 Ti - Point of View GTX560Ti 1GB --> 383 dollars

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

All of them prices are much much to high just buy an Xbox 360 or another console.

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
egilbe, 6 months with the sellers. After that just with the manufacter..

Hydroc10, I know... I'm just weighing that on my mind.

MMO Fan, I have considered it. The problem is that I don't have a TV at home. I quit watching tv a few years ago. So just to play any console I would to buy it with a new TV. Which will be a lot more expensive than just buying a new graphics card...

I'm pretty much F*&#@!

Thanks everybody anyways!

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

You would have to be lobotomized to think that a 560ti at close to $400 is a good idea in this situation I say Console FTW and I am by no means biased to consoles at all. For $400 you can get an Xbox and a (((( bunch )))) of used games from a PWN shop.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Hey man good job on getting rid of the TV it really is just a bunch of BS same programing month after month ect LOL so have I been of the TV for some time as well. Well you do know that you can hook the consoles up to your monitor via HDMI to DVI cable or adapter.

The 560 Ti, especially the 900Mhz versions from Asus , Gigabyte would be the best deal there by far

Prices are similar over here too. GTX 560 Ti costs $350. I still have it, and so what? Console gaming sucks, and we all know it. Plus, the OP doesn't have a TV. Considering his PC broke down and he needs a replacement, I'd say it's way better investment to replace a graphics card than buy a shitty console. The OP probably has a lot of games for the PC, buying a console would be a waste and would be more expensive in his situation, plus, GTX 560 Ti blows consoles away any day. You're the lobotomized one if you think it's worth it.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

In OPs situation and anyones for that matter a GPU for playing games is as far away from an investment as they come in fact it is just the opposite from an investment it is liability. A GTX 560ti for close to $400 is just no worth the price of admission for how much you get in return considering GTX 560ti are going for under $200 fair market value. You have the option to waste you money on frivolous material but for OP I am suggesting he exercise discipline and not let himself get ripped off and get an Xbox because $400 is just far to much money for just 1 560ti.

rafaebn

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hey guys... Come on! Chill! I just can't thank everybody enough for all this input! :sweat:

And yes. I have a lot of games on Steam that I really still wanna play. And I tried to sell my PC and getting a console and a TV but it's not worth it! I've put a lot of money on it...

I'm considering this GTX560 Ti really hard. I found a Gigabyte GTX560Ti for about 364 dollars. What you guys think?

Thanks!!!

I own a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti as well, and I'm extremely happy with it. It's was a good buy, overclocks like a champ, and deals with whatever I throw at it.

@MMO Fan:
Dude.. You are forgetting that $400 is US price for the XBOX, so it's likely to be more expensive elsewhere. Also, I wouldn't call paying that price for a graphics card to being ripped off, because that's the prices of everything. Just because your country collects taxes by collecting them, other countries collects them through VAT and other additive prices on the goods. Especially the imported ones. Before all the taxes here, the $350 GTX 560 Ti is around $220, but it would be illegal to get one without paying up the taxes. And that's for every piece of electronics. There's NO OTHER WAY TO GET THEM. It's not about getting ripped off, don't you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.