[SOLVED] upgrading

Wesman726

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
I am upgrading my HHD and OS from a 500gb hhd. win 7pro to a 1tb hhd. win10 pro.
Can I add the old win7 hhd as a second hhd to access programs and move them to the new win 10 hhd ?

Solution
I am upgrading my HHD and OS from a 500gb hhd. win 7pro to a 1tb hhd. win10 pro.
Can I add the old win7 hhd as a second hhd to access programs and move them to the new win 10 hhd ?
Programs from the WIn 7 install?
No.

Any applications you use will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

Wesman726

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Lutfij, I can certainty understand reinstalling the programs as win10. But I'm confused about the,
( Also, make sure to create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and a 16GB pen drive).
I purchased a CD of win 10pro to install on the new hhd ?

Yes you can use your old Windows 7 hard drive as a storage drive. Also you say you are upgrading from a 500GB hdd to a 1TB hdd, do you mean 1TB SSD? If not I strongly advise running Windows 10 on a hard drive, it's worse than useless.

You can use the Windows 10 DVD to install Windows. However using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB will be faster and will give you a more recent version of the installer.

USAFRet

Titan
Programs from the WIn 7 install?
No.

Any applications you use will need to be reinstalled with the new OS.

Solution

Wesman726

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Yes you can use your old Windows 7 hard drive as a storage drive. Also you say you are upgrading from a 500GB hdd to a 1TB hdd, do you mean 1TB SSD? If not I strongly advise running Windows 10 on a hard drive, it's worse than useless.

You can use the Windows 10 DVD to install Windows. However using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB will be faster and will give you a more recent version of the installer.
Hi Nighthawk117, I have a (WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive ) that I plan to install win 10 on. I did a little reading on HHD v SSD and decided on this one, not really sure why, just did.