[SOLVED] UpHere RGB Fan Hub: Is there significant difference between SYS_Fan and CPU_Fan?

LordGio

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
TLDR: If I plug this RGB hub’s “CPU_Fan” connector into a “SYS_Fan” header, will something get fried and end in disaster?

I bought a three-pack of aRGB fans from UpHere that come with a hub.

The manual is kind of unclear and says that the hub needs to be plugged into CPU_Fan “only”. But I already have an AIO plugged into that header.

image.jpg

The manual says that the “Fan 1” on the hub can detect the PWM fan speed of the PWM fan. However my AIO has two fans going into a splitter.

Would I need to plug the hub into CPU_Fan if I only intended to use it for the three case fans? Would the hub have any problems being used with the splitter?

System:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI B550 Tomahawk
CoolerMaster ML240L v2

Last edited:
Solution
You are right. You CAN use that Hub for case ventilation fans by plugging its female fan input connector (one of two cables from the Hub's CPU FAN port) into a SYS_FAN header. Then make sure you plug one of your case fans into the Hub's FAN1 Port. In BIOS Setup, ensure that the SYS_FAN header you have used is set to use as its TEMPERATURE input the sensor on the Motherboard, and not the CPU internal sensor. Leave the connections for your AIO system unchanged, and continue to control that system as advised by its instructions. You do not need any Splitter for this.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are right. You CAN use that Hub for case ventilation fans by plugging its female fan input connector (one of two cables from the Hub's CPU FAN port) into a SYS_FAN header. Then make sure you plug one of your case fans into the Hub's FAN1 Port. In BIOS Setup, ensure that the SYS_FAN header you have used is set to use as its TEMPERATURE input the sensor on the Motherboard, and not the CPU internal sensor. Leave the connections for your AIO system unchanged, and continue to control that system as advised by its instructions. You do not need any Splitter for this.

Reactions: LordGio
Solution

LordGio

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015

Perfect! Thank you! Btw would you happen to know how I could make that configuration in the B550 Tomahawk’s BIOS? Im unfamiliar with it and still learning my way around it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for Best Solution.

The details of setting options for your SYS_FAN headers are not covered in your mobo manual. See its p. 34 for the EZ Mode scree. From there use F7 to reach the Advanced Mode (p. 37) and clock on Hardware Monitor. Look through its screens to find the one for the particular SYS_FAN header you are suing for the Hub. There should be a place to specify what temperature sensor it uses. ALSO - I forgot before - look for a MODE setting. MSI usually sets its SYS_FAN headers be default to Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). For your 4-pin fans and this Hub, you need to change that to PWM Mode. When you are done, use Esc back to the Main Menu, then F10 to get a confirmation window. Confirm your settings and Save and Reboot.

Reactions: LordGio

LordGio

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
Done and it worked…. sort of. The fans are spinning, but the rgb isn’t being detected by the motherboard.

When I plugged the 3-pin connector into the jRainbow header, I was concerned about the fact that it was pretty loose— assuming i successfully plugged it in because it was a struggle otherwise.

So whether the cable is plugged or not, the rgb remains whatever setting the reset button had it at last, so I know the problem is that the cable isn’t even connecting.

Are 3-pin connectors typically loose like this? I saw someone in another thread suggest pinching the pins with pliers to create a tight fit. I do have pliers I could use, but I want to make sure there’s no other option? Especially considering it might not even work.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
BEFORE you do that, try this. This idea is NOT shown in the instructions for that system, but it is a common feature in others of similar design.

Many such systems default to using the front panel reset button to change displays. To have the Hub turn over control of the lights to an external signal from the mobo, you need to HOLD the Reset button in for at least five seconds. Try that before other things.

The connection at the mobo header should not be loose, no. If you need to tighten it up, go ahead using needle-nose pliers to squeeze each "hole" in the connector slightly off-round. Do it gently so you don't collapse it, and re-do if it's not tight enough.