Upload Hogging Bandwidth

Sir_William707

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
I've been having trouble with uploads hogging all of my internet bandwidth. It happens when I'm doing backups on my phones and computers. I have a Belkin router that only has something called Intellistream where you can essentially set limits on the upload and download speed. However, it's different than normal QoS in that it also takes into account video calls, gaming, and HD streaming, prioritizing those functions. I tried Intellistream anyway, but with any speed I put into the download and upload slots, the internet was still slow during a backup or upload. I was thinking that if I limit the upload speed to half of what I'm supposed to get, then that would also limit the download speed by half while doing an upload (download essentially using the leftovers). Is this wrong logic? I'm wondering whether I should buy a new router that has more QoS controls? I've seen that there's software for controlling bandwidth usage, but I don't know if they also have that for phones too. Plus, I don't want to have to install that software on all of my devices. I basically want to limit upload speed that will in turn allow some space in the bandwidth for other devices to use internet. Thanks for the help!

Solution
"I think, correct me if I'm wrong, because it is using up all of the bandwidth."
No, your wrong. Uploads don't restrict downloads... End of story.

The only way that could happen is if your reaching the max bandwidth of your modem, router, NIC card or wireless card. (very unlikely)

With DSL all of your neighbors affect your speed and the possibility of other causes is an endless list.
Are you sure this is just an upload and it's not doing some kind of sync (downloading as well)?
"Is this wrong logic?"
Yes, because at home I get 50mbps downloads and .. not sure really; but like 10mbps uploads.
See how they are not the same? Think of them as a divided highway. The downloads might be 5 lanes, while the uploads get 2 lanes. If you restrict the uploads to 1 lane you still have the same 5 for the downloads. (It doesn't make downloads go any faster when you minimize your uploads.)

My modem is capable of 1Gbit... (1000mbps but I only pay for 50mbps so my speed limit is imposed by my ISP. My capable bandwidth is far larger than I need.)

"I'm wondering whether I should buy a new router that has more QoS controls?"
That may not help.

"I've seen that there's software for controlling bandwidth usage, but I don't know if they also have that for phones too."
They do, but you don't need that.
What you need are bandwidth controls on your router for controlling stuff like that but I don't think you should even have that turned on.

Turn off bandwidth limits and let yourself use the full speed of your internet connection.

"I basically want to limit upload speed that will in turn allow some space in the bandwidth for other devices to use internet."
That's just not how it works.

If you need more download (or upload) speed, call your ISP.

Note: Many ISP's don't advertize the upload speeds they sell to customers. They advertize the download speeds because most home users don't need much upload bandwidth.

Sir_William707

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
Well, according to SpeedTest, my download speed is 12 Mbps and my upload is 1 Mbps. (You can probably tell I'm on DSL.) Thus, my uploads and backups take awhile, with or without the Intellistream settings I tried. So, when I do a backup, all of my other devices have extremely sluggish internet, practically unusable internet. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, because it is using up all of the bandwidth.

(For my phone, the pictures and videos take up a lot of data for the backups.)

Any ideas?

"I think, correct me if I'm wrong, because it is using up all of the bandwidth."
No, your wrong. Uploads don't restrict downloads... End of story.

The only way that could happen is if your reaching the max bandwidth of your modem, router, NIC card or wireless card. (very unlikely)

With DSL all of your neighbors affect your speed and the possibility of other causes is an endless list.
Are you sure this is just an upload and it's not doing some kind of sync (downloading as well)?

Solution
The upload should not affect download speed.

Ethernet is "bursty" by nature. Even if your uploads eat up 99% of the 1Mbps, it is not normally consistent. Meaning the lite up traffic needed to request a web page or start a movie on Netflix should ne be overly delayed.

You can ask the ISP to help to see if there is an issue in any of their equipment. But what d_l69 said about defaulting the restrictions in the router is correct. Not only are they ineffective, they are not needed in most cases.

That 12 to 1 ratio of download to upload seems unusual. I have DLS also (AT&T) and my download just now was 7.43 Mbps and upload was 1.42 Mbps. I am paying for 6 Mbps download.

When you are backing up your phone, is it doing a complete backup every time, or just doing an incremental backup? As suggested, you can do the phone backups during off hours. Also, others in your neighborhood may have an impact on your overall bandwith during peak usage.

As far as I knew, DSL is not shared in the neighborhood but cable is.

Are you sure ?

And as others have stated, uploads do not affect downloads. Now your PC might be having issues which might make it seem as if it's a bandwidth issue.

What are your full system specs?

Mine does this somewhat. I have ~120 download/5 upload. Yay Comcast.

Packets are sent back to the servers to tell them the data/page loads/etc were received. It's a 2-way street somewhat - so when you max out the upload speed with a giant upload, the ISP isn't really prioritizing which packets are sent out first. They're just throttling it all to that speed - very few packets are sent back to the servers you receive from, but it is way more noticeable when you are using up most of the upload cap.

Dec 20, 2019
@Sir_William707

Did you fix the bandwidth hogging issue?

If my phone is uploading photos to Google, then I cannot send emails - or literally do anything else online.

Usually I remember that I've recently taken some pictures, so switch wifi off on my phone and use data to upload - and instantly my computer leaps back into life and is able to browse, use email again etc.

I'd rather find a way around this - other than using data on my phone.

Did you get a solution?

Thanks.