Question Upload speed nosedives at the same time every day, Download and Ping remain fine.

Aug 26, 2020
Hello,

My problem has been unlike any issue I have dealt with and I'm so frustrated that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the issue as my ISP has not been helpful. I also know there have been similar posts on this forum, but I haven't found one that was quite exactly like mine. Just for reference I have internet through Optimum cable and use their modem and router in my setup.

For almost 2 months now I have been dealing with this issue with my internet where after 10:30pm EST my upload speed completely craters from 44Mbps Upload to below 0.50Mbps Upload. This issue lasts all night long until about 8:30am or 9:00am where my upload speeds come back at a steady 44Mbps for the entire day..... until 10:30pm comes by and we repeat the cycle again.

Good Speed
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9922382058

Bad Speed
https://www.speedtest.net/result/9924782950

Early on I thought it might have been device related, so I went through and checked each of my devices for issues, I even went and performed a clean install of Windows as this was prior to me realizing it was an Upload speed issue at the time. I went through all the steps Optimum recommended via phone support, like power cycling my devices, modem and router which of course did not work. I had a tech out here who did nothing besides swap out my modem and router which of course did not correct the issue. I even figured that maybe I was being throttled for some reason and expected when the new month rolled over that maybe the situation would improve, but it did not. If anything the upload speeds are getting worse and worse with each passing day. I've tried replacing as much of the cable in my apartment as I can and even tried plugging the modem into a different breaker circuit, but still no luck. The problem still exists if I bypass the router entirely and hardwire to the modem.

So I am at a complete loss at this moment, I have another tech visit scheduled soon where I hope they will actually take a look at the outside wiring. Apart from that I don't know what I could be missing. I've checked for any potential firewalls on my system that might interfere with my connection, but I don't know if its possible for something else to be attacking that portion of my internet with such consistency. I'm hoping someone here might potentially be more helpful than those hacks at Optimum have been.

Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS