Question Upload speeds 1GB from wall, but 5MB wired from router.

Aug 18, 2021
I have a 1GB fiber connection to my home. If I connect the ethernet cable from the wall directly to my desktop ethernet port, I get the advertised 1 gbps download and upload speeds.

If I run the ethernet cable to the WAN port on my router, then route another ethernet cable from the router to my desktop computer, I get only 5mbps upload speeds. Download speeds stat 1gbps. I tried disabling all of the "offload settings" for the network adapter and that got me up to 140 mbps upload speeds. I tried connecting the same ethernet cable from the router to a laptop and got the expected 1gbps upload speeds.

Any idea what setting on my desktop computer is causing this reduced upload speed? My motherboard is an MSI Ace X570 and I am using the Intel adapter. The router was provided by the provider and is a Calix Gigasphere.

I don't want to go the route of going from the wall to my desktop, then a cable from my desktop to the router as this means I have to keep my computer on all the time.

Appreciate any ideas/fixes you might have.

Which ethernet port are you using. The 2.5g ports have all kinds of strange driver issues. The description also says it has some gaming lan stuff. You want to uninstall any so called gaming network or QoS software.

Have you tested with any other of the speedtesting sites. Speedtst seems to sometimes have strange issue on upload. I know for me it will say zero upload rates on some vpn connections.

Aug 18, 2021
My 2.5 GB port (Realtek) has an ethernet cable that will not come out. It is not plugged into anything on the other end. I did not think it could be causing any issues since I am using my other ethernet port (Intel) for broadband. However, your note made me wonder what would happen if I just disabled the 2.5GB adapter. Low and behold, I am now getting 1GB uploads. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: SamirD

TRENDING THREADS