Upload spike drops

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Sorry to be back filling the forums with another question/request.

I've swapped to sky broadband about two weeks ago, downloads of 90mb/s and uploads of 20-30mb/s with ping lowest as 9. Though recently my upload speeds have been spiking from 10mb/s to as low as 2mb/s, causing ping to also spike to 500 in game. Download speed is not effected, staying strong and steady.

I've looked around and most common answer was to call a technician. I want to try avoid doing so and maybe find like some option in the router. I have already tinkered with it so I could have access to 5GHz and port forward a server. (Though the server was only today). Rarely anyone uses the wifi and im too far away from the router to use ethernet and use a wifi adapter going as far as it can.

The spikes do seem consistent, about even gaps between each.
Upload: http://prntscr.com/jxkqfj
Download: http://prntscr.com/jxks4e
These were ran while nothing else was using the internet, to my knowledge.

Any tips would be great. I don't mind but be nice to have a solid connection thanks :)

Your problem is you assume that just because no other device in your house is using wifi it is not being used. Unless you live far out in the country you have a massive amount of neighbors also using wifi. These signals come into your house and interfere. You even get interference from one of those new fancy cars that have hotspots when they drive by.

It is also partially that your end device like does not transmit at maximum legal signal levels where you router does. The signal level is not high enough to over come the interference...or maybe a thick wall. Still everyone attempting to transmit at maximum signal levels is part of problem with all the interference between houses. It takes a lot of digging to find output power on nic cards. Most internal cards tend to have more output power where USB device are designed to be portable where battery live is important so have lower output. Still without digging though the FCC data base to get output power levels you can't really be sure.

This is just one of those things you have to live with when you use wifi.

PC_Gamer_Tom

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014

The part about neighbors using WiFi, this hadn't effected me while I was with Virgin Media, and was getting faster speeds with no issues. I turned off the Sky Q box and disabled WiFi on my mobile during the testing. My adapter is a 3.0 USB and so doubt power is a problem compared to older USBs, and it is in the hallway along with the router so I doubt thick walls are a problem. I will still take the power levels to mind however.

TRENDING THREADS