UPnP Forging Path To IoT: Standards, Certification, Horizontal Integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vistouf

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Your new add on mobile is an utter failure. I have to scroll this sh!t all the way across the screen to keep reading? What do you think I can't see it? I can see the static adds, and I can see that you are taking away my control over the Web page.

wtrj

Reputable
May 9, 2015
This is a good approach to horizontal integration. Instead of locking customers down to certain standards -- which doesn't seem to be the best idea given the huge array of potential uses of IOT devices -- standardizing WITHIN devices will likely work well. If a property owner has several properties within a relatively close but not down-the-street range, he/she could use a wide-area network (www.link-labs.com's Symphony Link or perhaps Sigfox) to connect UPnP devices.

AnotherPoster

Reputable
May 10, 2015
When you see the page-scroll ad, just scroll the opposite direction. Alternatively, configure your device to use a proxy script to block the ads by redirecting the downloading of them to a null address. A script like http://shion.ca/ios/adblockpub.js

Also, it isn't the site's fault. It's the ad company's fault. They designed it, deployed it. Tom's Hardware just uses the service.

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
OK. Silly idea time: wouldn't it be better for our IoT devices to be able to register with a chosen central hub/server, and only be allowed to connect to one such hub/server at a time? In that way the hub/server controls the comms between devices and with the internet, effectively acting as a 'firewall' for the IoT devices? Why do these things have to have independent unregulated access to every other device and the internet as a whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.