Question Uppgradetime

chanto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Right.... Last year I uppgraded a few components in my gaming rig but now I feel its time to go bigger.

Atm the only games I play are World of tanks and world of warcraft (yes I am old) Might find me some new games but .....

What I do want is the possibillity to play at 1440 p with a 144hz monitor and with a decent fps.

As for now I have a few old components from a build I did in 2010..Cooler Master HAF 922 Midi Tower and Corsair HX 850W PSU. The psu will be uppgraded
with a new version of the same psu. Monitor is ancient aswell....Samsung 23" LED Syncmaster XL2370 (60 hz)

Mobo is MSI Z370 Gaming M5, Socket-1151

Gpu is MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Gaming X

Ram is HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB 2x8GB 2666MHz

Cpu is Intel Core i5-8600K

Storrage is Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + a standard 2 tb spindisk

What I do want to upprade is (well first the psu) is the gpu + monitor and more ram if needed.

As far as the case goes I plan on waiting for the new pc-011 v2

So to all you guru`s out there whats youre recomendations ?

You dont need to upgrade the PSU. The HX850 is a very good, even though overpriced, PSU. The wattage is way more than you need, but that wont matter

You dont need more RAM. 16gb is enough RAM for every game available. The 8600k is a very good gaming CPU.

Your system needs a new GPU. You have highend parts with a budget GPU. The GPU will also have the biggest impact on gaming performance. You dont need more RAM. Without knowing your budget, it is hard to recommend a GPU, but your rig can handle any GPU on the market. I would look at a 1660ti or higher as that would be a significant boost from your 1050ti.

Reactions: chanto

chanto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thnx guys, thing is tho that psu is 9 years old so I figure it is about time for it... as for Budget for the gpu I`m thinking 600/700 ish euro about the same on the monitor.
You guys see no problems putting a 2070 or 2080(no TI) in it then ?

Then again what do I need to get a good/smooth run With the games I am playing atm ?

And to explain the gpu I have, it was a quick fix as my old 1 died on me and I had to get a mobo and a cpu to get it upp and running again

Last edited:
Sounds like your PSU is the older Corsair HX850 and not the new ones released a couple of years ago. Plan your system before you pick the PSU. You probably dont need a 850watt PSU. More than likely a quality 650watt unit will be more than enough. Seasonic Focus Gold PSUs are quality units for good pricing. You cant go wrong with EVGA G2/G3 units either.

Get the best GPU you budget will allow. You system will be fine with a 2070 or 2080.

I dont know where you are located, but for the monitor I would go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yRymbv
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yRymbv/by_merchant/

Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $599.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 11:07 EDT-0400

chanto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thanx :
And yes its an old psu (had it driving 2 x 5870 bk in 2010) I see ure point on scaling Down to 650 or so :)

And thnx for taking the time to help me :) I will look into that monitor

Thnx guys, thing is tho that psu is 9 years old so I figure it is about time for it... as for Budget for the gpu I`m thinking 600/700 ish euro about the same on the monitor.
You guys see no problems putting a 2070 or 2080(no TI) in it then ?

Then again what do I need to get a good/smooth run With the games I am playing atm ?

And to explain the gpu I have, it was a quick fix as my old 1 died on me and I had to get a mobo and a cpu to get it upp and running again
Actually, your current 1050ti would be fine for your current games on 1080p. If you want to go to 1440p, then I would recommend a GTX1080 at the least. It will perform on a level with the 2070, but since it is an older gen card, you might get it at a lower cost.