Uprgade worth it?

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Short and sweet. Currently using i5-750 oc to 4.0. With tax season upon us I have extra cash to burn. Is going from the 750 to the 3570k a substantial upgrade for gaming? this will be paired with my 580

Thanks

Solution
D
Right now Haswell is scheduled for a June 2 release. The benchmarks should be released in May. That's 4 full months so if the money is really burning a hole in your pocket you may want to go for Ivy. Personally I would wait. A whole new socket may bring other advantages like improved overclocking as well but who knows. I am one generation ahead of you with my Sandy Bridge setup and I'm not going to even consider a motherboard/CPU upgrade until Broadwell next year.

I agree with the advice on this page in that you need to move up 3 tiers to really see a difference. At 4Ghz in my opinion that puts you pretty much equal to a stock 3.3-3.5Ghz Sandy or Ivy Bridge chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Well you already said you have money to burn so I think you kind of answered your own question, if you have the money why not. In terms of performance it will be better how much will depend on the games you are playing.

pankakes123

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Can you save the money you have no and wait a little while for Intel's new Haswell CPUs which are coming out this year? If you must spend the money now though then yes you will see a significant performance boost with the 3570k.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ I agree. Wait for Haswell unless you are getting bottlenecking issues with the i5 750. At 4Ghz the 750 is a pretty strong CPU though.

Sandy Bridge was about a 10% increase in clock for clock performance over Lynnfield and Ivy adds an additional 7-8% to that so upgrading to Ivy gives you roughly a 20% ( probably more like 15% ) clock for clock increase. Even if Haswell only adds 5-10% to that it's worth waiting a few months to see in my opinion.

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Haswell comes out when in June?

I mainly play BF3 and Planetside 2. I know Planetside is poorly coded atm but I don't like dipping into 30's fps.

I don't have to spend the money now but ive been sitting on this cpu since it's release and it's time to upgrade. If you think haswell is worth waiting for i will consider it. I mainly wanted to confirm that I would see a performance increase with the 3570. It's common sense that I would but does the bump in performance justify the upgrade? When do you think we will see haswell benchmarks ?

D

Deleted member 217926

Right now Haswell is scheduled for a June 2 release. The benchmarks should be released in May. That's 4 full months so if the money is really burning a hole in your pocket you may want to go for Ivy. Personally I would wait. A whole new socket may bring other advantages like improved overclocking as well but who knows. I am one generation ahead of you with my Sandy Bridge setup and I'm not going to even consider a motherboard/CPU upgrade until Broadwell next year.

I agree with the advice on this page in that you need to move up 3 tiers to really see a difference. At 4Ghz in my opinion that puts you pretty much equal to a stock 3.3-3.5Ghz Sandy or Ivy Bridge chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Solution