[SOLVED] Uprgades for i7-7700

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
I was looking to upgrade my ram and gfx card in my computer, but wasn't sure what I can or should get. I wanted to upgrade my ram from 8gig to 16 (and to something good since task manager doesn't even list what type of ram it is) and upgrade my card form the GTX 1060 3gig or something good, but low priced. I have tried googling the info myself, but I get easily confused when messing with hardware.

Can anyone point to some good and fair priced stuff? This computer is for gaming and video editing and I don't overclock.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I wanted to stay with NVIDIA for the card because it has treated me right.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5867703.p?skuId=5867703
This is about the computer I have, mine looks a bit different, but all the same components.

Also, will I need to upgrade my PSU?

Last edited:

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
What are your current componebts and what do you want to run?
CPU-wise, unless you plan to overclock, the 7700 is the best the current platform can run. If you want more, you will also need a new motherboard and DDR4 memory. Regarding the AMD vs Intel dilema, AMD packs more cores/threads, but it's slightly behind Intel in gaming.

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
I'm sorry for the confusion, but that's what I CURRENTLY have, not what I'm getting. I just linked it for reference, in case someone wanted to know.

I wanted to know what RAM I could get and what graphics card I could upgrade to.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I'm sorry for the confusion, but that's what I CURRENTLY have, not what I'm getting.
I'm sorry for not being clear, I meant what are the rest of the components (motherboard, power supply, case etc.).
First of all, you need to make sure the power supply has enough power connectors for the card. Then you want to make sure it can fit inside the case.
Regarding the ram, it depends on how many dimm slots the motherboard has and how many are being populated already. It's not 100% guaranteed that mixing different sticks/kits will work without issues, but for the best results get the same size, latency and voltage, prefferably not a kit+another stick (for a total of 3).

BigFattyPlus

Reputable
Nov 27, 2016
Solution