[SOLVED] UPS Battery Backup Issues

MavinMaverick

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
I haven't been able to find much information on this, so I'm hoping you good folks might be able to help. I have a fairly high-end computer, which I have plugged into a battery backup, as one should.

The issue I'm having is, when I'm running certain programs (it seems to only be MMO style games), my battery backup will suddenly start beeping as if the power supply has been cut. Most of the time it will stop after a few seconds, but sometimes it will completely fail and my computer will shut off. I seem to do okay if I have fewer programs open, though this isn't always an option as I do some streaming and need at least a browser, the game, and usually Discord or a streaming app open.

On the technical side, I have two monitors on the backup, my work laptop, which is on during work hours (I don't usually have a problem during this time despite both computers running), a couple of recharging cords, which aren't often recharging things, and a lamp with an LED bulb in it. I know some of those things should be moved off the battery, which may help, but I wanted to give a clear picture of what's on there currently. My computer is running an 800 watt power supply, and the battery backup is 550VA/330 Watts w/890 Joules of surge protection.

Is the computer too much for the backup? Might the backup simply have issues and should be replaced? Why would the running of game-specific programs trigger the problem - graphics card maybe being a power hog (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS GP OC (VR-Ready) - EZB)? Any ideas would be welcome.

Solution
I haven't been able to find much information on this, so I'm hoping you good folks might be able to help. I have a fairly high-end computer, which I have plugged into a battery backup, as one should.

The issue I'm having is, when I'm running certain programs (it seems to only be MMO style games), my battery backup will suddenly start beeping as if the power supply has been cut. Most of the time it will stop after a few seconds, but sometimes it will completely fail and my computer will shut off. I seem to do okay if I have fewer programs open, though this isn't always an option as I do some streaming and need at least a browser, the game, and usually Discord or a streaming app open.

On the technical side, I have two monitors on...

kanewolf

Titan

On the technical side, I have two monitors on the backup, my work laptop, which is on during work hours (I don't usually have a problem during this time despite both computers running), a couple of recharging cords, which aren't often recharging things, and a lamp with an LED bulb in it. I know some of those things should be moved off the battery, which may help, but I wanted to give a clear picture of what's on there currently. My computer is running an 800 watt power supply, and the battery backup is 550VA/330 Watts w/890 Joules of surge protection.

Is the computer too much for the backup? Might the backup simply have issues and should be replaced? Why would the running of game-specific programs trigger the problem - graphics card maybe being a power hog (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS GP OC (VR-Ready) - EZB)? Any ideas would be welcome.
You are overloading you UPS. 330W is easy to overload.

Reactions: MavinMaverick
Solution