[SOLVED] UPS Battery Backup + Surge Protector Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
I am a little confused and I just wanted to double check:

I have a UPS battery backup. And I have a power strip.

My computer desk is in the middle of the room, it's away from power outlets. I am using a standing desk too so I have to find a way to get something RIGHT UNDER my desk.

So I have a UPS battery backup plugged into the outlet, (cord stretches to under my desk) and then I have a surge protector plugged into the battery backup.

So my setup is as follows:

Battery Backup to Surge Protector, and plugged into the surge protector is my monitor, desktop, phone charger, etc.

Is there any problem with this setup? Anything I should be worried about?

Any better setup to make sure things are electrically correct? Should I do surge protector to battery backup instead of the other way around?

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
APC recommends not using the two together in any connection, see HERE for their rationale.

Any recommended alternative?

Bottom line is the cord can't reach that far, for my surge protector or battery backup.

Would an extension cord+a surge protector be better, with no battery backup? Trying to find a suitable option since my desk is further away

RealBeast

Titan
Any recommended alternative?

Bottom line is the cord can't reach that far, for my surge protector or battery backup.

Would an extension cord+a surge protector be better, with no battery backup? Trying to find a suitable option since my desk is further away
I use a large gauge 10 foot extension cord on a couple of my UPS's. I got a 3 pack at Harbor Freight a few years ago. I would definitely keep the UPS though.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
An extension cord with sufficient outlets on the end might be better.

Battery backups are good.
They let you ride through power events and give you time to shut down gracefully in the event of a power failure.

I've been hearing that you can't use a battery backup with an extension cord though. So what makes the recommendation of a heavy duty cord any different? Again I'm a little ignorant so this helps

A UPS will normally have several outlets on the back.
Some will be protected with battery backup, some are simply surge protected.
You should be able to buy heavy duty extension cords which limit transmission loss.
I do not think we are talking about any great distances here.
I don't imagine that it would be a problem to have a 4 extension bundle running to your desk; one for each outlet that you plan to use.
The idea is to avoid the possible double filtering of surge protection.
There is always a potential loss when you need to make more than minimum connection.
You can reduce those issues by using best quality parts.

A ups is not very big and not very intrusive.
Would it not be simpler to put the ups under the desk and run an extension cord to it?

RealBeast

Titan
I've been hearing that you can't use a battery backup with an extension cord though. So what makes the recommendation of a heavy duty cord any different? Again I'm a little ignorant so this helps
It's a matter of using a cord sufficient to carry the current without a resistance issue. I think my three 10 ft. cords are all either 8 or 10 gauge. They are all capable of carrying 20 amps without a problem.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
yes, use a heavy extension cord and one of these multi outlet adapters

So actually, I can plug the UPC directly into the wall. I only need about 6 FT of cord (if that) to get to the left side of my desk (UPC is on the right side of the desk).

Could I just buy one of these multi-outlet adapters and call it good? The UPC into the wall and this adapter into that? And would it be okay to plug 2 of them in? I only want to have 2 monitors running, 1 desktop and a phone charger. But I'd like one monitor on the opposite side of the room, so 2 would be ideal.

And Are there any 6 foot BLACK alternatives out there?

Last edited:

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018
It's a matter of using a cord sufficient to carry the current without a resistance issue. I think my three 10 ft. cords are all either 8 or 10 gauge. They are all capable of carrying 20 amps without a problem.

Would you have any recommendations on the above "multi outlet adapters". Would those work? And would you know of any black ones? Home depot, lowes, amazon or walmart are all acceptable and I can buy online.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.