[SOLVED] UPS caused my PC to restart after power cut, is this sign of hardware damage?

Ishit Arya

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I just had a power cut and it lasted for like 15 min, the power cut doesn't happen often so I left my PC running thinking that power will come back within few mins. After running my PC while playing game for 5 mins on a UPS battery the UPS suddenly forced my PC to restart itself, my guess is that my UPS battery couldn't provide enough power to run my PC while a game was running after few mins. Once it restarted my PC was stuck in windows boot so I had to force shutdown by holding power. I'm worried that these events caused some hardware damage to my PC.

What i'm extremely worried about is low voltage from UPS caused some hardware damage.

My UPS is Twin Guard Pro Plus 1000w and PSU is Cooler Master 750w

Solution
I think that most likely you are fine.

I think what may have happened is....as you said...the UPS ran out of juice....the voltage went low....this caused the PC to shut off.

Although.....being we really don't know what the voltage was doing at the ups....it may have just went low for a bit....then because the load went down because the voltage went low it may have come back up and caused the restart and the boot loop. It's hard to say...but that's a scenario.

Regardless....there's much less potential for damage with low voltage that high voltage.....and I tend to think your hardware didn't see any high voltages during this event....so I'm thinking you are probably OK.
I just had a power cut and it lasted for like 15 min, the power cut doesn't happen often so I left my PC running thinking that power will come back within few mins. After running my PC while playing game for 5 mins on a UPS battery the UPS suddenly forced my PC to restart itself, my guess is that my UPS battery couldn't provide enough power to run my PC while a game was running after few mins. Once it restarted my PC was stuck in windows boot so I had to force shutdown by holding power. I'm worried that these events caused some hardware damage to my PC.

What i'm extremely worried about is low voltage from UPS caused some hardware damage.

My UPS is Twin Guard Pro Plus 1000w and PSU is Cooler Master 750w
Low voltage generally doesn't cause damage to electronics.
How is the PC running now?

I think that most likely you are fine.

I think what may have happened is....as you said...the UPS ran out of juice....the voltage went low....this caused the PC to shut off.

Although.....being we really don't know what the voltage was doing at the ups....it may have just went low for a bit....then because the load went down because the voltage went low it may have come back up and caused the restart and the boot loop. It's hard to say...but that's a scenario.

Regardless....there's much less potential for damage with low voltage that high voltage.....and I tend to think your hardware didn't see any high voltages during this event....so I'm thinking you are probably OK.

Solution