UPS' don't last all night?

steve_

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I was thinking about paying $200 for the best reviewed UPS on newegg then I saw it only lasts like 10 minutes and I am like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I could see the point of that in the 90's, MAYBE, but I never had one then and still don't have one and never had a problem, honestly I was only gonna get it so I could run BOINC 24/7 and save the world.

Here's what I don't get though. It only lasts about 5 seconds, yet it has ports for everything. Phones, toasters, washer/dryer, whatever, again WHY? I woulda never thought it only lasted a few minutes with the price and the insane amount of ports I'm so confused right now.

Anyway no replies are necessary if you don't wanna reply don't reply this is pure curiosity because I'm just gonna get a better surge protector (one that didn't blow its fuse in probably the 50's I got a titan now that's why I'm finally looking into this stuff btw) and I'll run boinc 24/7 when I get some solar panels. Here's hoping I'm wrong and someone posts a link to a ups that lasts a week and charges in 20 seconds and only costs one dollar.

Phones, toasters, washer/dryer,
Since when does it say to plug those into a UPS?

The usually point of a UPS is so that you can save your work and shut down cleanly without corruption, or in some cases to tide you over until a generator kicks in.

For that you typically need the PC, monitor, and maybe an external HDD or a USB hub. Powering a printer (especially laser) or other large device will make it scream at you.

steve_

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
That's a common waste of 200 dollars is what it is lol, phew! Like I said it was only to run BOINC (software that figures out how to cure cancer etc) 24/7 so it's totally no worries, thank you very much!