UPS for a 1200W System?

GameRat

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Hello all,

I'm building my new gaming/streaming rig with i9-7900X OC and 1080 TI SLI OC, with dual NVMe M.2 SSD and extra SSD. I'm using the EVGA 1200W P2 80+ PSU. Should I NOT use my old CP1500PFCLCD UPS (1500VA/900W)? What UPS should I get? Is that even worth it? I don't see too many recommended UPS for this type of build.

Thanks,

Solution
While you are purchasing at 1200w PSU that doesn't mean you will be running at 1200w, or even close. Even under full load you might be around the 750w limit. But that's hard to say for sure until you monitor your exact wattage.

You might be able to get by with that existing USP. However, if you go over that 900w limit, you may experience issues when a big power surge goes through the system. Lets say, a friend throws a nade at your face which causes a large CPU spike which means more power and then your PC shuts off (speaking from experience lol).

So with that in mind. You should be ok with what you have. But if the battery starts dying, or you notice things as I described, then that means you are most likely going over the wattage...

Hardware Brad

Notable
Jul 24, 2017
I have a hex core i7 w/ one 1080ti that draws a little over 700w under full CPU and GPU load (Prime95 + Furmark). Two 1080ti's and the i9 will probably have the capability to draw about 900w, maybe more. Though it is unlikely that it would ever draw that much under normal conditions, UPS's recommend getting double the UPS watts of what your system draws. I would probably recommend a 1500w UPS, though you may be able to get by with the 900w in low to medium workloads. I'd say gaming on that system will probably draw 600w-700w. (My system draws about 500w gaming)

While you are purchasing at 1200w PSU that doesn't mean you will be running at 1200w, or even close. Even under full load you might be around the 750w limit. But that's hard to say for sure until you monitor your exact wattage.

You might be able to get by with that existing USP. However, if you go over that 900w limit, you may experience issues when a big power surge goes through the system. Lets say, a friend throws a nade at your face which causes a large CPU spike which means more power and then your PC shuts off (speaking from experience lol).

So with that in mind. You should be ok with what you have. But if the battery starts dying, or you notice things as I described, then that means you are most likely going over the wattage the PSU can support and it's time for an upgrade. (remember, battery replacements are recommended normally every 3 years).

But unless you have something crazy going on. I doubt you are going over the 900w limit of that UPS. Even if there was a power spike.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS