Question UPS for commercial embroidery machines.

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
I have 3 commercial embroidery machines. Two of them draw 150w each and the other one draws 350w.

I had a power glitch (power went off for around 5 seconds) yesterday which messed up 4 caps and took me all day today to fix. I decided it was time to invest in UPS to keep this from happening again.

I am only interested in having enough time to shut the machines down properly in case of a power outage. Or to keep running in case of a glitch like happened yesterday.

First question is, can I run all 3 machines off 1 UPS and if so, what specs would I need, and is this advised. I read another post that recommended 1.6 * watts to give the VA value. In this case, that would be a minimum of 1200. In add I see the VA and the W listed, like 1500 VA, 900 Watts.

If not, can I run the 2 150watt machines on 1 and the 350watt on a second UPS. In that case what specs to I need?

Are there any brands to stay away from? Are there some brands to put at the top of the list. Where's the best place to order from. Locally, I have Staples and Best Buy.

Last question. Is pure sine wave preferred in this situation, or is this overkill?

I would like keep my budget under $300 if possible.

Thanks,
Alisa

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
What do I need to be looking for VA and/or Watts?

Can/should this be done with 1 larger UPS 1 or do I need 2 smaller ones?
The single head machines pull 150w each for a total of 300w and the 4 head machine pulls 350w.

I only run all 3 machines at the same time about 40% or less of the time.

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
kanewolf,
What do you think about this one?
APC SURTA1500RMXL2U On-Line Smart-UPS 1500VA 1050W 120V Rackmount w/New Batterie
Would I still want to replace the battery?
At 1050W, I think it could handle all 3 machines plus maybe my computer, 2 monitors, printer, right? I haven't looked at wattage requirement for these items. I'm not nearly as concerned about the computer because my software is set to auto backup every 60 seconds due to issues with the program crashing.

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
I see several refurbished APC SURTA1500RMXL2U On-Line Smart-UPS on ebay. My biggest concern is that there are only 6 outlets and look to be fairly close together. The plugs on my machines are heavy duty, and the plug receptacles on my surge protector have enough spacing to handle having them plugged side by side, but not sure if these have enough spacing.

kanewolf

Titan
kanewolf,
What do you think about this one?
APC SURTA1500RMXL2U On-Line Smart-UPS 1500VA 1050W 120V Rackmount w/New Batterie
Would I still want to replace the battery?
At 1050W, I think it could handle all 3 machines plus maybe my computer, 2 monitors, printer, right? I haven't looked at wattage requirement for these items. I'm not nearly as concerned about the computer because my software is set to auto backup every 60 seconds due to issues with the program crashing.
Those are the exact units I use. I have been very happy.

dancingbay

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
I just measured the plugs. 2 of them are about 1.5" diameter. The other plug is the same size as a heavy duty extension cord.

Here are the 3 plug I want to make sure fit. 3 plugs

I think I should have enough room to fit them if I put the 2 larger plugs on each end and the smaller plug in the middle on the other row.

Do you think they will all 3 fit?