Rigamir

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hello,

I am wanting to get a UPS for my home theater system. I know any UPS wouldn't be able to power a home theater for very long, what I am interested in is the power regulation, power info as well as the surge protection. Power fluctuations are not good for electronics and a UPS with AVR helps to protect the health of the electronics plugged into the UPS. My conundrum is whether my UPS needs to have the amount of wattage my system pulls and whether the wattage rating on a UPS is really just for when the battery is active. It would make sense to me that the UPS acts as a power pass through much like a powerstrip so while power is being provided to the UPS it shouldn't matter what its rated for as far as wattage goes, maybe?

For example I have a 9.2 channel receiver that will pull a maximum of 850 anda television that can pull 95W - 225W but I really want to buy a UPS that is in the 600W - 800W range.

Will the UPS fail to provide adequate power to my system even while power is being provided to it?

I will note as well that my receiver will have 5 Definitive Tech speakers 1 center(BP9040) 2 front towers(BP9020) and two surround bookshelf speakers(Demand D7) no sub as the living room is small and I don't think it is necessary.

If you are looking just for line regulation you can buy a device for that such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60

It will basically regulate the voltage for any device connected to it.

However if you want a UPS as well then you would want to have some wiggle room in load.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60

That should cover you as it is battery backup, surge protection and line correction but I have to ask is everything going to the same area for power? Or are there separate power areas for some devices? If so you could get a smaller one for each area instead.

Rigamir

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
They will all likely be powered from the same outlet I have considered having an outlet installed behind the tv to avoid hanging cables. I bought an in wall power cable with cable pass through for this purpose but depending on what happens with my electrician coming by sometime this week to give me a quote for installing outlets I may return it and have a dedicated outlet.

The second link you posted in your message seems the be the same as the first, would you mind posting the link for the recommended UPS?

kanewolf

Titan
The APC Smart-UPS ONLINE series of UPS units are double conversion units. That means that they are always creating the output voltage from DC. The output is constant on those units. They are expensive, but if you want the best protection, a double conversion UPS is the best. That is what I use on all my computer equipment.

Reactions: TJ Hooker