Apr 1, 2022
My pc psu is 650 watts and my UPS is 1200va (around 720 watts). Yet my ups starts to beep alot when im heavy gaming indicating that there's an overload. Is the ups faulty? It was previously plugged in for hours before i started the heavy gaming so it should be charged. I tend to unplug the ups when i sleep and plug it in back the next day. Usually i dont have issues. Am i supposed to keep the ups plugged in 24/7?

Solution
Im worried about the electricity bill. How does the ups consume electricity? Lets say in my case i got a 720 watts ups, does it constantly consume 720 watts or just consumes the tiny amounts to keep it maintained at 720 watts? (After the initial charge)

The 1200VA/720w rating is how much energy the UPS can process through line-power or battery before overloading. How much energy is actually being consumed will depend on the energy demand of every component plugged into the UPS. If you are experiencing overloads, the first step is to calculate the total demand of your PC and Monitor and any anything else plugged into the UPS. This should be done before selecting a UPS.

Other than your PC and Monitor, do you have anything else...

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your UPS? How old is the UPS? Make and model of your PSU(and it's age) and the specs to your system?

I tend to unplug the ups when i sleep and plug it in back the next day.
Ideally you're supposed to keep the UPS plugged in but shut off, so the battery is charged when not in use.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Apr 1, 2022
Make and model of your UPS? How old is the UPS? Make and model of your PSU(and it's age) and the specs to your system?

I tend to unplug the ups when i sleep and plug it in back the next day.
Ideally you're supposed to keep the UPS plugged in but shut off, so the battery is charged when not in use.

UPS: MERCURY MAVERICK 1200VA, about a week old.

PSU: FSP650 80 plus bronze

My pc specs: (couple of weeks old, its brand new including the psu)
Motherboard msi B560m PRO-E
RTX 3060 TI
i5 11400f
2x 8gb ddr4 ram
1 tb nvme
1 tb hdd 7200rpm

The thing is, i had it running for like 9 hours before i started heavy gaming and getting the alarm. (It takes 6 hours to charge 90% of the ups capacity)

Also does it consume the same amount of electricity when its plugged in and turned on and while plugged in and turned off?

Apr 1, 2022
Leave it plugged in and on all the time.
Im worried about the electricity bill. How does the ups consume electricity? Lets say in my case i got a 720 watts ups, does it constantly consume 720 watts or just consumes the tiny amounts to keep it maintained at 720 watts? (After the initial charge)

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020

The 1200VA/720w rating is how much energy the UPS can process through line-power or battery before overloading. How much energy is actually being consumed will depend on the energy demand of every component plugged into the UPS. If you are experiencing overloads, the first step is to calculate the total demand of your PC and Monitor and any anything else plugged into the UPS. This should be done before selecting a UPS.

Other than your PC and Monitor, do you have anything else plugged into the UPS?

3060 Ti: ~200w peak
i5 11400f: ~190w peak (stress)
Generic Gaming Monitor: ~55w
Generic Gaming Motherboard: ~150w peak (stress)

Even with the highest stress values and peak use, your system, using approximations and generic values, is only at 595w. Even when factoring in RAM, AIO, and etc... a 720w UPS should be enough.

Are you certain that the beeping is not an indication of another problem? I have a Cyberpower 1500VA/900w and it gives one long beep for overload, two short deeps when switching to battery, and a continuous alarm for low battery. The Maverick may not have the same alarm setup, but I'm assume something similar.

The Maverick is a Line-Interactive UPS meaning it has two functions. The first is to balance or condition line-power so that each plugged in item receives optimal and stable voltage. The second is to provide battery backup power in the case of total power loss or if line-power drops below a predetermined value. A line-interactive UPS has to switch to battery to use battery, and only does so when battery is needed. In short, the UPS will only use battery when specific conditions are met. Outside those specific conditions - the UPS will not use battery. Technically, a Line-Interactive UPS should work without a battery - battery backup will simply be unavailable.

After the initial charge, the UPS will only need to maintain the charge against natural decay (no battery is 100% efficient) and need-based use. Otherwise, the UPS will only draw enough power for self-operation and to power each item plugged into it and turned on. For self-operation, see how many watts your UPS draws per hour then figure out what you pay per watt/hr.

It's true that there is some power draw when a device is plugged in but turned off. And while I agree there is an environmental and fair-consumption ethics argument - your electric bill should not be significantly impacted. That is unless you regularly experience total loss of power and severe fluctuations in power, resulting in regular depletion and recharging of the battery. Or if where you live there is a heavy consumption tax.

Solution
Apr 1, 2022

Other than your PC and Monitor, do you have anything else plugged into the UPS?

3060 Ti: ~200w peak
i5 11400f: ~190w peak (stress)
Generic Gaming Monitor: ~55w
Generic Gaming Motherboard: ~150w peak (stress)

Even with the highest stress values and peak use, your system, using approximations and generic values, is only at 595w. Even when factoring in RAM, AIO, and etc... a 720w UPS should be enough.

Are you certain that the beeping is not an indication of another problem? I have a Cyberpower 1500VA/900w and it gives one long beep for overload, two short deeps when switching to battery, and a continuous alarm for low battery. The Maverick may not have the same alarm setup, but I'm assume something similar.

The Maverick is a Line-Interactive UPS meaning it has two functions. The first is to balance or condition line-power so that each plugged in item receives optimal and stable voltage. The second is to provide battery backup power in the case of total power loss or if line-power drops below a predetermined value. A line-interactive UPS has to switch to battery to use battery, and only does so when battery is needed. In short, the UPS will only use battery when specific conditions are met. Outside those specific conditions - the UPS will not use battery. Technically, a Line-Interactive UPS should work without a battery - battery backup will simply be unavailable.

After the initial charge, the UPS will only need to maintain the charge against natural decay (no battery is 100% efficient) and need-based use. Otherwise, the UPS will only draw enough power for self-operation and to power each item plugged into it and turned on. For self-operation, see how many watts your UPS draws per hour then figure out what you pay per watt/hr.

It's true that there is some power draw when a device is plugged in but turned off. And while I agree there is an environmental and fair-consumption ethics argument - your electric bill should not be significantly impacted. That is unless you regularly experience total loss of power and severe fluctuations in power, resulting in regular depletion and recharging of the battery. Or if where you live there is a heavy consumption tax.
I only have my PC plugged into the UPS. The monitors are plugged into the sockets directly. I only get the beeping noise when i see my gpu usage high (running heavy games). One time it beeped until it went into red light (alarm mode) and cut off power to my pc. Other times ive tried closing the demanding game and the beeping eventually stopped without the power cutting off. I think it mightve been due to me unplugging it every time i go to sleep which let it discharge. I let it stay plugged for awhile and ran the demanding game and no alarms came out this time. Im still monitoring it, if it persists then it must be a faulty UPS.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
I only have my PC plugged into the UPS. The monitors are plugged into the sockets directly. I only get the beeping noise when i see my gpu usage high (running heavy games). One time it beeped until it went into red light (alarm mode) and cut off power to my pc.

Okay... Is it a UPS or an Inverter w/ Battery? I can't find a 1200VA on Mercury's website, but I did find a Mercury Maverick 1.2kVA Inverter . I don't know how a Inverter+battery system exactly works as an uninterrupted power supply.

If it truly is a Line-Interactive UPS
  1. The UPS is overloading due to high demand, which is unlikely given the PC and UPS specifications.
  2. The system is continuously using battery power, which it shouldn't be.
  3. The battery is naturally discharging at a rate it shouldn't be.
However, it could also be that you're using the battery a lot more than noticed and or the battery isn't being charged enough. A UPS is designed to be plugged in all the time, so leave it plugged in and see if you keep getting the warning or not. Does it tell you when it's using battery?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022
Okay... Is it a UPS or an Inverter w/ Battery? I can't find a 1200VA on Mercury's website, but I did find a Mercury Maverick 1.2kVA Inverter . I don't know how a Inverter+battery system exactly works as an uninterrupted power supply.

If it truly is a Line-Interactive UPS
  1. The UPS is overloading due to high demand, which is unlikely given the PC and UPS specifications.
  2. The system is continuously using battery power, which it shouldn't be.
  3. The battery is naturally discharging at a rate it shouldn't be.
However, it could also be that you're using the battery a lot more than noticed and or the battery isn't being charged enough. A UPS is designed to be plugged in all the time, so leave it plugged in and see if you keep getting the warning or not. Does it tell you when it's using battery?
Well it does not say anything about being an Inverter on the box or manual just that it says it's a line interactive UPS. So far i kept it plugged in for almost a day and 12 hours in, i stopped getting overload alarms. I was just initially worried it would consume 720 watts per hour plugged jn 24/7 before knowing it would just consume the pc load and the small amounts of discharges. Anyway il keep monitoring it and if it starts to beep again then il just refund or exchange it. Thanks!

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

A UPS will trickle a little power every so often. I have a meter on my outlet that shows the amps, watts, volts... etc, my current UPS with everything powered off except the UPS consumes about 20w.
Constantly unplugging a UPS will keep draining and recharging the batteries daily, meaning they will need replacing more often.\

I don't know what the price of power is in your region but I would think new batteries would be more expensive than a few cents a day for power.