Question UPS-like device for GoPro

askingaround

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Hi!

I use a GoPro for recording long trips and I plan to operate it without a battery, connected to a charger powered by my car's lighter socket.

The problem is that without a battery loss of power would mean that the recording would stop.
I'm thinking of using a pass-through power bank as a back up power supply, which of course is not its ideal type of use.

Is there any other solution that can act as a UPS device for the camera, except a pass-through power bank?

Last edited:

askingaround

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
What is wrong with power banks? This is exactly what they were designed for.

Well, actually not. Most power banks are not pass through. They are not designed to act as a back up power source when the power supply disconnects or goes of for any reason.

Charging and discharging the power bank at the same time (if we are talking about a pass through model) makes the battery hotter and shortens its life-span.

Standby UPS devices supply power only when power supply fails, bypassing the battery.

askingaround

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Not true. The battery isn’t doing both, it either has a net slower discharge where output current is higher than input or net slower charger where input is higher than output.

How Does The Tech Keep Your Power Bank Charged Safely?

Pass through charging is not entirely without risk to your devices. Excess heat is battery kryptonite, which is why Rav engineers have taken such pains to develop chips that can regulate temperature by manipulating energy intake. The longer something takes to charge, the more at risk it is of building up damaging heat. Under normal use, even our beefiest models like this gargantuan 27000mAh bank can be fully charged hundreds of times without a significant performance hit.
Pass through tech poses an extra challenge to safely keeping your power bank charged however. The normal charge time is extended because the bank is generously offering a portion of its juice to the devices plugged into it. If you’re only passing through for a few hours, our products are built well enough to take it. Longer than that, though, and you’re risking doing some damage to even top-tier products, regardless of the manufacturer.

Which in short says a battery with well designed pass through circuit is required. The heat issue is not the battery but the pass through/charger circuits and RAVPower are not guaranteeing theirs for prolonged use.

You could look at power solutions for Dash Cams, their are several that use batteries with pass through when ignition is on and then battery for recording when ignition is off. However people do use power banks with pass through for this purpose.

Last edited:
Well, actually not. Most power banks are not pass through. They are not designed to act as a back up power source when the power supply disconnects or goes of for any reason.

Charging and discharging the power bank at the same time (if we are talking about a pass through model) makes the battery hotter and shortens its life-span.

Standby UPS devices supply power only when power supply fails, bypassing the battery.

If that is how a USP worked, the system would have issues when the power supply swapped over when it sensed power loss, there will be a short period of time when the system loses power and the USP takes over. A UPS is always providing power, but only starts using it off the battery when there is no wall power going to it.

Just deal with the fact the battery will wear out, it will take a long time anyway. Not like you will use the power bank and in a month it will go bad.

askingaround

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
@sizzling
Thanks. That's what I also thought. With a stable voltage it's logical that the load determines the current.

@hang-the-9
Well, I'm gonna by a pass through power bank and will see how long it will last. Anyway, they are relatively cheap, so even it won't last for a long time it's OK.

TRENDING THREADS