Question UPS makes beeping sound and shuts down after 20 seconds, but electricity is not gone. Then I connect PC to main socket, PC still fails to turn on.

Nov 28, 2022
A week ago, I was playing CSGO game. Suddenly, UPS start beeping. So, I thought electricity was gone. So I shut down the PC and UPS beeping stopped, but then I noticed, electricity was not gone. 2 days later, again I was gaming, UPS makes beeping sound, even though electricity was not gone. So I keep playing on PC, but UPS starts beeping faster and shuts down after 20 seconds. Then I remove plug from UPS and connect PC power plug to main socket, to use power directly from switch board, and try to turn on PC, but PC turned on for less then a second, then then gone. I press Power button a few times, PC did not turn on (not even for a second, like that time.) Then I connect PC back to UPS, wait an hour, and press power button on PC, and PC started and worked fine. Same thing happened today. So, Why my UPS starts beeping and turned off? And why PC don't work even after I directly connect to main board?

CPU: Ryzen 3600
Graphics Card: Sapphire RX 570
PSU: Atom v550
UPS: MaxGreen 650VA

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Why my UPS starts beeping and turned off?

Contact MaxGreen and ask them.

And why PC don't work even after I directly connect to main board?

Contact Atom and ask them.

-----

Both, UPS and PSU are terrible quality and them giving you issues is normal, when buying cheap stuff.

If it was me, i'd throw both into garbage and buy:
  • CyberPower, APC or TrippLite UPS.
  • Seasonic or Super Flower PSU.

-----

How do i know that your UPS and PSU are terrible?
Well, for one, are there any reviews about them in the net?
Also, the official specs of both of them, are lackluster and due to that, i'd avoid both.

E.g UPS official specs: https://www.maxgreen.tech/maxgreen-650va-ups

It lists only very little, while also leaving out important information.
  • There is no word of the UPS topology. Is it Stand-By, Line-Interactive or Online. Nada. Based on transfer time, it seems Line-Interactive.
  • It does say that waveform is Sine Wave, but it doesn't specify if it's Simulated Sine Wave or True/Pure Sine Wave. There's a big diff between the two.
  • It also doesn't list runtime on half load and full load. Just vague "up to 30mins runtime".

This is NOT how proper, good quality UPS information is supposed to be presented. But for cheap products, where only goal is to get your money, i guess this little info about the UPS is enough? Btw, MaxGreen site is also lacking info under About Us and Privacy Policy links, if you were to browse around there. I'd say MaxGreen is a scam, while not even bothered to make a proper website for themselves.

For example, here is official specs of the UPS that i'm using, a CyberPower PFC Sinewave CP1300EPFCLCD,
link: https://www.cyberpower.com/hk/en/product/sku/CP1300EPFCLCD#specification

See any difference between mine and yours?

-----

Your PSU has about the same amount of official info as your UPS,
PSU specs: https://www.atomcreativegroup.com/v550-1

Cheaply made website, where you can actually see that the PSU is 504W unit, and not 550W unit. Since +12V rail outputs up to 504W, from where the extra 46W comes from?
Also, again About Us page is also poor:
Atom is found by a group of people who believe they can offer an exciting and fascinating user experience that can be shared by everyone.
That, while stealing your money. I'd say that Atom is also a scam. Cheap website with very little info.

For proper PSU specs and OEM website, look towards Seasonic. E.g PRIME Titanium PSUs, which i also have,
specs: https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium

See any diff between your PSU specs website and mine?

-----

Like i said, you have two options:
  1. Contact the scammers and ask why their products, UPS and PSU are so poor.
  2. Throw the crap into garbage and buy good quality UPS and PSU.

Just because light bulbs still work does not mean the electricity is good.

The UPS is trying to tell you power may be present, but is bad. There's a limited range where it can operate either on undervoltage or overvoltage before switching to battery, and it sounds as if it was enough out-of-spec to run entirely from battery. And the faster beeping was telling you the battery is depleted. Batteries are only sized to run at max load for 5-7 minutes when new, and the runtime can get ridiculously short once the battery is old.

PC power supplies also have a voltage range at which they can operate, and while most intended for use worldwide will spec 90 or 100v minimum, the Atom V550 says 230v AC only.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
the Atom V550 says 230v AC only.

OP is most likely in India, since i couldn't find both the PSU and UPS outside of India. So, PSU being 230V only, doesn't matter. Also, most of the world, including India is using 230V anyways.

Though, it's well known that India has poor electricity coverage and all sorts of electrical grid issues are very common there. Due to that, it was a good idea on OP part to get UPS for their PC. But cheaping out on both, UPS and PSU, was a bad idea. I guess it's common in India to cheap out on everything and then complain when cheap products doesn't perform as expected. :sarcastic:

PSU being 230V only, doesn't matter.
Sure it matters, as no tolerance spec is listed. If it was ± 5% then 218.5 to 241.5v would be acceptable but if there is no spec then it might just not be tested at anything except 230v. And if OP's PSU were only compatible with 120v too (and auto-switching) then no brownout there would shut it off.

Similarly, there is no claimed tolerance for the OP's UPS but it is clearly running on battery when power is present. My 120v APC UPSes default to switching to battery below 82v and above 144v but this is adjustable in case someone either has a terrible PSU that cannot tolerate such a wide range, or wider (up to 75-154v) to preserve the battery in case of an extra tolerant one. Your 230v Cyberpower lists 170-270v which may actually be too wide for OP's PSU.

Lots of higher quality stuff sold worldwide specs 90v minimum only because Japan is weird with their 100v (at both 50Hz in the East and 60Hz in the West). In practice though such equipment can usually tolerate worse so long as not running at maximum load as those APC defaults suggest

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
as no tolerance spec is listed

If given that Atom is India in-house brand, then they know very well the electricity grid issues in India. This would lead to a reasoning that the PSU does have some input range, but since website is so poorly constructed, they didn't most likely add the relevant data to it. Only the bare minimum to trick the common folk of brand's legitimacy.

Your 230v Cyberpower lists 170-270v which may actually be too wide for OP's PSU.

That's AC input to UPS, and not AC output from UPS. AC output from ups is 230V +/- 10%.

Lots of higher quality stuff sold worldwide specs 90v minimum only because Japan is weird with their 100v (at both 50Hz in the East and 60Hz in the West). In practice though such equipment can usually tolerate worse so long as not running at maximum load as those APC defaults suggest

Seasonic and Corsair specs their PSUs from 100-240V, rather than starting from 90V. So, i guess it's good enough for Japan as well. Though, most likely, the input current has some tolerance outside the listed spec. Just like PSUs have peak wattage output, for milliseconds, which is greater than max wattage output. But that peak isn't listed within PSU specs either.

And while most PSUs have broad range of 100-240V, there are region specific products as well, e.g Seasonic A12 with 200-240V input: https://seasonic.com/a12
And i've seen 120V only PSUs too.

The input range for the backup unit is 145-290v AC

From the short reviews i read the Atom v550 is not the best of PSU, with the RX570 recommending a 500w PSU and the 12v rail supposedly only being 504w. I would guess A its over heating or B a part is going bad. That could cause the issue that when you plug it into the wall it does not power on till you let it sit and cool down.

As for the Backup unit a 650VA is only rated for 390 watts, if your PSU truely does 550w that is 40% over its limit it will cut the backup time by a lot.....( im guessing you are close to the PSU limit while gaming) You also have to take into account how old the Backup unit is, batteries should be replaced every 3-5 years if not sooner depending on the environment it its.

Typically if the Backup unit is beeping and then the beeps get faster it means its switched to battery and it battery is running out. If you have more then just the computer PSU plugged into the unit, monitor or speakers, that will also add to the load on the battery and shorten its time to keep everything running.