[SOLVED] UPS overload indicator going up and down ?

Jordy18

Commendable
May 22, 2021
Is it normal for a UPS overload indicator to go up and down?
Also my input/output on my UPS keeps changing from 220, 222, or 224. Last night it goes down to 218. I think its because there is three air conditioner running in our house.
Should i worry about my UPS? I also live in Philippines so the power here is always fluctuating or sometimes goes down. Thanks!

UPS BRAND: Powerbox Techtools
PowerboxTechtools.com – HIGH QUALITY PROTECTED STABLE POWER IS A MUST

Solution
Likely normal.

Per the specs Input Voltage range is 140 to 290 VAC (provided that I looked at the correct model on the website.)

Most incoming power lines experience small dips and peaks in the supplied voltage.

And other heavy loads on the circuit will likewise cause dips and peaks.

Plus the UPS may simply be more "sensitive" with respect to noting and displaying such fluctuations.

I would watch for fluctuations that start going outside of the voltage ranges you are seeing on a day to day basis.

On a really "bad" (to be determined/defined) day then that is when you may want to shut down to protect devices and the UPS.

The UPS can only provide some level(s) of protection and eventually could become a victim itself.

FYI...

Ralston18

Titan
Likely normal.

Per the specs Input Voltage range is 140 to 290 VAC (provided that I looked at the correct model on the website.)

Most incoming power lines experience small dips and peaks in the supplied voltage.

And other heavy loads on the circuit will likewise cause dips and peaks.

Plus the UPS may simply be more "sensitive" with respect to noting and displaying such fluctuations.

I would watch for fluctuations that start going outside of the voltage ranges you are seeing on a day to day basis.

On a really "bad" (to be determined/defined) day then that is when you may want to shut down to protect devices and the UPS.

The UPS can only provide some level(s) of protection and eventually could become a victim itself.

FYI:

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/home/surge-protector7.htm

You can easily find similar links to learn more about power and protection.

Reactions: Jordy18
Solution
Is it normal for a UPS overload indicator to go up and down?
Also my input/output on my UPS keeps changing from 220, 222, or 224. Last night it goes down to 218. I think its because there is three air conditioner running in our house.
Should i worry about my UPS? I also live in Philippines so the power here is always fluctuating or sometimes goes down. Thanks!

UPS BRAND: Powerbox Techtools
PowerboxTechtools.com – HIGH QUALITY PROTECTED STABLE POWER IS A MUST

Normal if you have terrible mains that go up and down in voltage. This is a mains problem. Not a UPS problem. The UPS has an AVR built into it that is doing it's job. When it sees the voltage drop, it boosts. If it sees the voltage go to high, it bucks.

Likely normal.

That spec is for the safe operation of the UPS itself. The AVR in the UPS is going to keep the output voltage as close to nominal (240V) as possible. So if it sees 200V, it'll boost. If it sees 270V, it's buck. Those are guesses at numbers since the "manufacturer's" spec sheet has absolutely no useful information on it.

Reactions: Jordy18