[SOLVED] Ups overout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi

Today i am Facing very interesting issue. I m using Antec 650w neo classic modular psu.

And i have backup ups cyberpower BU1000e which is 600w ups.

When i m using my computer normal for everyday task. And suddenly electricity cut happened. My pc won't get shutdown immediately.

And today when i was using furmark benchmark test to test my OVERCLOCK gpu and electricity cut happened.

My pc didn't survive by UPS. It got shutdown/closed as soon as electricity gone.

My 600w ups didn't worked in this situation

Does anyone have idea why my ups didn't give power during running of furmark benchmark test.

It's weird

What i m suspecting that psu was drawing more than 600w during the benchmark test and my ups had limitation of 600w and it didn't survived.

My specs are
I5 8600k
Z390 a pro mobo
Msi rtx 2080 Gaming trio

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Still i am in dielema what should i buy

Psu or ups?

Otherwise my money will get waste

You have two problems, one you understand and one you are in denial about.

Lets get one thing clear. Wattage is a meaningless number when it comes to quality. I don't care if your PSU is 1000w, if its built cheaply or poorly it won't properly power your equipment.

So lets go to your PSU first. Its a low end model that @jonnyguru whom is a known expert on PSU's is pointing out is bad for your GPU. Especially that you have overclocked your GPU. It simply can't handle an overclocked 2080 properly. I don't care what wattage it is. Overclocking exacerbates its issues even.

Secondly you are correct, your UPS cannot handle your system at full load. Now if you were Gaming it may have been fine (depending on the game) but benching with Furmark is going to drag everything possible out of it. Even if it didn't crash you'd have less than 5 minutes, probably more like 2 minutes worth of power.

So you need two things, a new PSU (650w or higher, Corsair RMi, RMx, or TX, or any Seasonic, or Superflower Leadex II, EVGA G2 or G3). and a UPS that can provide more than the max output of your PSU. Or just live with the UPS and only replace the PSU because how often are you really running Furmark? It will probably be fine most of the time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Keep in mind the recommendation of 650W is for that GPU at stock settings, you are overclocking and running furmark. That will put it well above that number. It only has worked out so far because GPU manufacturers are overly cautious to prevent liability claims.

An Antec Neo is not the best power supply to be using with the hardware you have and your desire to overclock. That CPU can easily pull 200W with the right cooling. The GPU way more. Combined with the rest of your system components, you could be pushing a lot more power than you think. Keep in mind that the power supply is rated in Output, it's Input will be greater than that. Bronze isn't terrifically efficient, so you can assume another 15% on top of that.

So to deliver 600W (the max rating on its 12V rail) it is going to pull something like 690W from the UPS. Now, how well the UPS gets to its actual rating would take some testing. And the UPS itself might not have a continuous power rating that high, just a maximum peak. Doesn't look like the UPS has a power meter on it. At that drawthe battery would be dead in 5 minutes, assuming no losses and considering a maximum charge based on the manufacturer's specs, which are almost surely slightly exaggerated.

The failure of your UPS to keep your system running clearly shows that under a heavy load it isn't good enough to keep the system alive, or at least switch over quickly enough to battery under those conditions. It simply wasn't designed for that. A proper UPS for a gaming system is going to be pretty bulky.

Hi

Today i am Facing very interesting issue. I m using Antec 650w neo classic modular psu.

And i have backup ups cyberpower BU1000e which is 600w ups.

When i m using my computer normal for everyday task. And suddenly electricity cut happened. My pc won't get shutdown immediately.

And today when i was using furmark benchmark test to test my OVERCLOCK gpu and electricity cut happened.

My pc didn't survive by UPS. It got shutdown/closed as soon as electricity gone.

My 600w ups didn't worked in this situation

Does anyone have idea why my ups didn't give power during running of furmark benchmark test.

It's weird

What i m suspecting that psu was drawing more than 600w during the benchmark test and my ups had limitation of 600w and it didn't survived.

My specs are
I5 8600k
Z390 a pro mobo
Msi rtx 2080 Gaming trio

A 650 Watt PSU may be pulling 750-800 Watts from the wall under load. That's way over your 600w spec rating.

Also the lead acid batteries inside age, just like your car battery. They will no longer give out the same current over time. This means the UPS will no longer make spec. They need to be replaced every couple years.

Many UPS units come with a USB port which can connect to your computer. You can run diagnostic software from the mfg from the computer that might give you a heads up about your battery capacity/condition. You can also do things like a controlled shutdown when the power gets low (Just like a laptop)

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
You have two problems, one you understand and one you are in denial about.

Lets get one thing clear. Wattage is a meaningless number when it comes to quality. I don't care if your PSU is 1000w, if its built cheaply or poorly it won't properly power your equipment.

Ok i agreed on that part.

So lets go to your PSU first. Its a low end model that @jonnyguru whom is a known expert on PSU's is pointing out is bad for your GPU. Especially that you have overclocked your GPU. It simply can't handle an overclocked 2080 properly. I don't care what wattage it is. Overclocking exacerbates its issues even.
I agreed on that part as well.

Secondly you are correct, your UPS cannot handle your system at full load. Now if you were Gaming it may have been fine (depending on the game) but benching with Furmark is going to drag everything possible out of it. Even if it didn't crash you'd have less than 5 minutes, probably more like 2 minutes worth of power.

So my system is crashing even i were gaming + during furmark as well during the power outage which is connected to my brand new 600w UPS

it won't get crash once its been used as a normal task during the power outage which is connected to my brand new 600w UPS

So you need two things, a new PSU (650w or higher, Corsair RMi, RMx, or TX, or any Seasonic, or Superflower Leadex II, EVGA G2 or G3). and a UPS that can provide more than the max output of your PSU. Or just live with the UPS and only replace the PSU because how often are you really running Furmark? It will probably be fine most of the time.
Ok i have ordered the RM850X PSU from Amazon. but not sure if i need more watt UPS or my 600w ups will work out on RM850X at full load.

And i need only 2 min backup to shutdown my system. i am not expecting like 10 mins or more.

because how often are you really running Furmark? It will probably be fine most of the time.

No my system is crashing during gaming session as well.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
A 650 Watt PSU may be pulling 750-800 Watts from the wall under load. That's way over your 600w spec rating.

Also the lead acid batteries inside age, just like your car battery. They will no longer give out the same current over time. This means the UPS will no longer make spec. They need to be replaced every couple years.

Many UPS units come with a USB port which can connect to your computer. You can run diagnostic software from the mfg from the computer that might give you a heads up about your battery capacity/condition. You can also do things like a controlled shutdown when the power gets low (Just like a laptop)
i am using brand new 600W UPs, its not even 10 days old. and in UPS i don't have intelligent software management system. its just UPS

Cyberpower BU1000E

And how its possible a 650 W Psu can draw 700 W, its not possible.

Right?

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Keep in mind the recommendation of 650W is for that GPU at stock settings, you are overclocking and running furmark. That will put it well above that number. It only has worked out so far because GPU manufacturers are overly cautious to prevent liability claims.

An Antec Neo is not the best power supply to be using with the hardware you have and your desire to overclock. That CPU can easily pull 200W with the right cooling. The GPU way more. Combined with the rest of your system components, you could be pushing a lot more power than you think. Keep in mind that the power supply is rated in Output, it's Input will be greater than that. Bronze isn't terrifically efficient, so you can assume another 15% on top of that.

So to deliver 600W (the max rating on its 12V rail) it is going to pull something like 690W from the UPS. Now, how well the UPS gets to its actual rating would take some testing. And the UPS itself might not have a continuous power rating that high, just a maximum peak. Doesn't look like the UPS has a power meter on it. At that drawthe battery would be dead in 5 minutes, assuming no losses and considering a maximum charge based on the manufacturer's specs, which are almost surely slightly exaggerated.

The failure of your UPS to keep your system running clearly shows that under a heavy load it isn't good enough to keep the system alive, or at least switch over quickly enough to battery under those conditions. It simply wasn't designed for that. A proper UPS for a gaming system is going to be pretty bulky.

Are you suggesting me to change both PSU and UPS?

or just only best brand PSU with high efficiency.

i am using brand new 600W UPs, its not even 10 days old. and in UPS i don't have intelligent software management system. its just UPS

Cyberpower BU1000E

Right?

You bought a cheaper UPS so you don't have a USB comms.

650Watts is the maximum combined power output of the PSU. But power conversion is not 100% efficient. With some PSU's it gets down to 80% efficiency or lower. That 20% loss gets turned into heat and hence why you need a fan on a PSU. :) So 650 / .8 = 812 Watts give or take from the wall.

Reactions: anjris

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So my system is crashing even i were gaming + during furmark as well during the power outage which is connected to my brand new 600w UPS

it won't get crash once its been used as a normal task during the power outage which is connected to my brand new 600w UPS

SO if the power goes out and you're just browsing the web its fine, but if you're gaming it crashes. That makes sense, as your PSU only uses the power it needs. During web browsing its only 100-200w, durning gaming its WAY more.

Ok i have ordered the RM850X PSU from Amazon. but not sure if i need more watt UPS or my 600w ups will work out on RM850X at full load.

And i need only 2 min backup to shutdown my system. i am not expecting like 10 mins or more.

No my system is crashing during gaming session as well.

Good choice on PSU. Your 600w UPS will work, but your system 100% will still crash if you are gaming and the power goes out, its not enough wattage to sustain the system under a gaming load.

650w is the OUTPUT not the INPUT. Input is based on efficiency, so for example if your PSU can out out 650w at 80% efficiency that means it needs 812w from the wall. A more efficient PSU improves this ratio. Thats why Platinum and Titanium PSUs cost more, because they can put out for example 650w from around 680w wall power.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Good choice on PSU. Your 600w UPS will work, but your system 100% will still crash if you are gaming and the power goes out, its not enough wattage to sustain the system under a gaming load.
then it means i need to buy a new high watt UPS as well which can sustain my system during the power outage during the full load or gaming session.

Could you please suggest to Which UPS i can switch as i have ordered RM850X PSU.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
650w is the OUTPUT not the INPUT. Input is based on efficiency, so for example if your PSU can out out 650w at 80% efficiency that means it needs 812w from the wall. A more efficient PSU improves this ratio. Thats why Platinum and Titanium PSUs cost more, because they can put out for example 650w from around 680w wall power.
Shall i buy Platinum or titanium PSU to be more efficient. As i have already ordered RX850X 80+ Gold certified PSU by Corsair.

If you think this is not right choice still. i will cancel my order and will order the platinum one. but i guess platinum is more way expensive.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
then it means i need to buy a new high watt UPS as well which can sustain my system during the power outage during the full load or gaming session.

Could you please suggest to Which UPS i can switch as i have ordered RM850X PSU.

Yes thats what that means.

I don't know whats available in your region, but If you can find a Cyberpower unit rated at about 1350va (Yours is 1000va) that should cover your needs.

Shall i buy Platinum or titanium PSU to be more efficient. As i have already ordered RX850X 80+ Gold certified PSU by Corsair.

If you think this is not right choice still. i will cancel my order and will order the platinum one. but i guess platinum is more way expensive.

You don't need to go nuts and buy Platinum or Titanium, the RM850x is good. That PSU is 90% efficient at 850w but you will only be using about 650w or so where its about 95% efficient

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-5.html

That means it will draw about 680-720w from the wall. A UPS that can put out 800w (a good 1350va unit will do that) will more than cover you.

To all users here.

BTW, Which PSU and UPS you guys are using?

I use a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w and a Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD UPS

Its a new psu and using the 80plus bronze psu. I think its a ups problem which is not enough to provide power during full load of pc.

Because my ups is 600w<650w psu

Right?

It's enough wattage. It's just not a good quality PSU. It's an Andyson made double forward topology. It doesn't even have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V. It's just not a quality PSU.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
And RM850X will provide continuous 850 W supply or is that a peak power.

I mean is that a true continuous PSU.

And i am planning to change my order from RM850X to RM750X

Will it work in my case? 750W

Yes thats what that means.

I don't know whats available in your region, but If you can find a Cyberpower unit rated at about 1350va (Yours is 1000va) that should cover your needs.

You don't need to go nuts and buy Platinum or Titanium, the RM850x is good. That PSU is 90% efficient at 850w but you will only be using about 650w or so where its about 95% efficient

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm850x-v2-psu,5568-5.html

That means it will draw about 680-720w from the wall. A UPS that can put out 800w (a good 1350va unit will do that) will more than cover you.

I use a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w and a Cyberpower CP1350PFCLCD UPS
850 Watt Platinum Seasonic Focus +
850 Watt Cyber Power UPS. (But my system should really never hit over 680 watts output used or 755 Watts input from the outlet.)

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
And RM850X will provide continuous 850 W supply or is that a peak power.

I mean is that a true continuous PSU.

And i am planning to change my order from RM850X to RM750X

Will it work in my case? 750W

850w is peak power. However it can provide that continuously as its a good quality unit. You could drop it to 750 it should still be more than enough for your situation.

PSUs are always rated at their peak power, the difference is good ones can hit it no problem without pulling a ton of power from the wall, bad ones need a ton of power to work, and have a hard time hitting it.

lynx1021

Distinguished
My UPS didn't shut down my PC a while back (set for 1min) got to checking and found My PC was plugged in the anti-surge outlets instead of the UPS backup outlets. My wife must have moved them while cleaning.
EDIT: I wouldn't buy a UPS that did not have communication to my PC to be able to shut it down normally. I have a Cyberpower 600VA unit upgraded from a 7Amp to 9Amp battery with software to shut my PC down and an old APC with a 9 Amp battery. They are set for 1min just to prevent sudden power crashes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS