lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Hey guys, can someone help me out with this. I have a 1000va ups rated for 600w that shuts down immediately sometimes when the power goes out if pc is under load (i.e. in game, rendering or stress testing).
Is this a sign of a faulty battery or a faulty ups?
my specs are:
Specs:
ryzen 5 2600 oc to 3.9ghz @ 1.3V
2x8gb 3200mhz
galax gtx 1660ti
asrock b450 steel legend
10 120mm fans
deepcool rgb 350 rgb strip
seasonic s12g 550w

P.S. my ups is already out of warranty and it is just around 2 years and it is an AWP AID 1000va ups

Thanks for the help and have a great day to everyone!

Solution
Yes, that's usually the sign of poor battery condition.
Normal battery life expectation is about 4-5 years, but reality is, battery starts to lose it's "performance" after about 3 years. But that also depends on battery quality/brand, usage conditions and finally, the quality of electronics inside UPS (that is responsible for charging the battery).
Batteries (you need 12V 9Ah) aren't that expensive, so it's worth to replace it. Anyway, I don't recommend buying the cheapest.
Normal battery life expectation is about 4-5 years, but reality is, battery starts to lose it's "performance" after about 3 years. But that also depends on battery quality/brand, usage conditions and finally, the quality of electronics inside UPS (that is responsible for charging the battery).
Batteries (you need 12V 9Ah) aren't that expensive, so it's worth to replace it. Anyway, I don't recommend buying the cheapest.

Solution

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
thanks for info, may I ask what are the signs of a faulty ups, I have tried to ask some of my friends about this problem of mine and they are also torn apart between me having a faulty ups and/or a faulty battery

Some of signs of possibly faulty UPS would be:
  1. UPS doesn't charge the battery fully (and you know battery is ok or new),
  2. UPS doesn't switch to battery usage fast enough (must be about 10 msec),
  3. New battery is only good for few months and you need to replace it again (assuming battery is some good quality brand).

In most cases it's the battery, though. Many factors influence battery life:
-how often you have power cuts,
-how much power is drawn by PC in battery use,
-room temperature,
-quality of charging the battery (UPS quality)

Keep in mind: it's only a small 12V 9Ah battery, which can theoretically deliver power of max 12x9=108W for one hour (when new and fully charged). But because 12V DC needs to be converted to AC (220V or 110V), actual power is quite lower (conversion loses). My guess would be, we only get about 80W (or even less) for period of one hour.
Let's say, your PC+monitor (when gaming) draws about 400W:
60min x 80W / 400W =12 minutes of gaming and battery is empty
-that's when battery is new.
But after battery is (say) two years old, you'll be able to play game only for about 5-6 minutes.. after 3 years only maybe two minutes (because battery ages).

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Some of signs of possibly faulty UPS would be:
  1. UPS doesn't charge the battery fully (and you know battery is ok or new),
  2. UPS doesn't switch to battery usage fast enough (must be about 10 msec),
  3. New battery is only good for few months and you need to replace it again (assuming battery is some good quality brand).
In most cases it's the battery, though. Many factors influence battery life:
-how often you have power cuts,
-how much power is drawn by PC in battery use,
-room temperature,
-quality of charging the battery (UPS quality)

Keep in mind: it's only a small 12V 9Ah battery, which can theoretically deliver power of max 12x9=108W for one hour (when new and fully charged). But because 12V DC needs to be converted to AC (220V or 110V), actual power is quite lower (conversion loses). My guess would be, we only get about 80W (or even less) for period of one hour.
Let's say, your PC+monitor (when gaming) draws about 400W:
60min x 80W / 400W =12 minutes of gaming and battery is empty
-that's when battery is new.
But after battery is (say) two years old, you'll be able to play game only for about 5-6 minutes.. after 3 years only maybe two minutes (because battery ages).
this is the most useful information I have received so far. I totally forgot to include my logitech z333 speaker and asus vp249qgr monitor into the equation. I will try and test the ups to a lower wattage pc and if works there I might go with a new ups with a higher va rating

TRENDING THREADS