traemyn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004
I live in an older house that has no universal grounding in the sockets (no third hole) and was wondering if this will leave even my UPS vunerable, and also if there are any easy solutions.

*I already bought the converters where your supposed to place that metal clip on the converter on the socket screw etc but im not sure that would work in my case b/c my sockets are really wierd and have 3 sets of holes per socket so the spacing is off.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could take off the cover plate to see if the box is grounded. If so, you could easily replace the old style socket with a new 3-prong unit. They cost around $1.60 to $3.80 at various stores (including hardware, lumber, even department stores).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

traemyn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004
thing is I have no electrical experience (read: i could easily do someting really stupid :p ) so even if you gave me a tutorial I don't think I would feel safe messing around with wires on this old house :). thanks for the suggestion tho

so theres nothing else I can do? also would there be any device I could purchase maybe at radio shack or something that I could test the voltage to see if it fluctuates much? (does that make sense?)
thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The wiring isn't hard at all, there's only a few wires, and you can shut the circuit off at your breaker box to avoid electricution.

You probably don't need the redundant ground (3rd prong), but it is a safety feature.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jtnik

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004
The ground is there for safety. My son ran his computer for years without a grounded outlet at my parents house (built in 1962). The only grounded outlets were in the kitchen and the garage.

Like mentioned above, grounded outlets are always necessary. Half the outlets I end up using when I am out and about with my laptop aren't grounded.

However wiring electrical outlets aren't a big deal (Of course, I also am a contractor, so I think this). Anyways, there are most likely only two wires in on your current outlet, maybe three. With house wiring black is hot, white is common, and copper is ground. Most likely the outlet you need to change also powers other outlets in your house, so you will have to move a total of four wires (excluding ground), you just shift both black wires, to the gold screws, both white wires to the silver screws. Also the outlet should have these labeled, so it should simplify things a little. And I don't recommend using those push in things on the back, always use the screw terminals.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>