[SOLVED] UPS question

Iamcid

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Hello guys .

Situation: I have used an APC ups for a long time now , it is connected directly to wall socket but i had connected to UPS a surge protection in which i plugged in all my computers. My question is: did i damaged somehow my UPS ? is there a way to test my UPS fucntionality ?

WALL > UPS > SURGE> 3 computers. Short scheme.

I have learnt late that i shouldn`t put a surge in a ups and now i wonder.

Solution
What? are you calling a 'surge protector'? If referring to the standard $2 power strip that's got 5-8 plug outlets and usually a big red 'on/off' switch at one end, then that's absolutely not going to hurt anything, placed anywhere. It's nothing more than a distribution block with either a fuse (old style) or a resettable breaker that does nothing for voltage spikes, only works on over-current, so you don't pull more than @15A or it gets too hot and trips.

If referring to an expensive' Monster' brand or similar actual surge suppressor, that's a different story, those have internal circuitry designed around working on AC power and can either work or be functionally useless if placed after some UPS as they are basically the exact same...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think that you damaged your PCs but don't use surge protector with UPS since UPS has surge protector built-in, among other things.

In other words:
WALL -> UPS (built-in SURGE, AVR etc) -> SURGE -> 3x PCs.

Only use surge protection on those items that you're not allowed to plug to your UPS, full list in your UPS manual. E.g:
WALL -> UPS (built-in SURGE, AVR etc) -> 3x PCs.
WALL -> SURGE -> PRINTER/SCANNER etc.

Iamcid

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
yeah the problem all these years was that i could not reach the ups with all the computers so i had to use the surge protector that was ... connected to the ups sadly. I was wondering if i damaged all these years something on my pcs or on surge protection or ups. They all seem to work just fine my computers and ups , but i wonder about my surge protection, i heard that surge protection can be usefull for 2 3 years then its time to change it. Is there any way to see if its actually surge protecting me?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any way to see if its actually surge protecting me?
Well, if you artificially create the surge within your electricity grid then you can look if the surge protector works or not. But i don't advise doing that.
Also, since you have surge protector behind the UPS, UPS'es built-in surge protector would catch any of the surges from the grid, well before they reach your surge protector.

InvalidError

Titan
You shouldn't put surge-protected power strips after an UPS, especially if it is a stepped approximation type since the ringing may exceed the surge protection's threshold (some surge protectors for 110-125V use MOVs with a 200V threshold) and wear it down when the UPS kicks in.

While it is true that UPS usually provide some degree of surge protection, the surge protection in all the consumer-grade UPS I have seen is far more basic than what you'd find in a ~$30 SurgeArrest Performance or isobar.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What? are you calling a 'surge protector'? If referring to the standard $2 power strip that's got 5-8 plug outlets and usually a big red 'on/off' switch at one end, then that's absolutely not going to hurt anything, placed anywhere. It's nothing more than a distribution block with either a fuse (old style) or a resettable breaker that does nothing for voltage spikes, only works on over-current, so you don't pull more than @15A or it gets too hot and trips.

If referring to an expensive' Monster' brand or similar actual surge suppressor, that's a different story, those have internal circuitry designed around working on AC power and can either work or be functionally useless if placed after some UPS as they are basically the exact same thing except no battery backup. They'll shut down if they detect power fluctuations and many UPS don't use 'pure wave' AC output, but stepped approximate or square wave output, which the surpressor sees as bad voltage.

Standard policy on UPS is replace the battery(s) every 2-3 years. They'll still work as intended as the surge suppressor part of them, but actual running life under 'no wall power' will be very short to none if the batteries are shot. Same as your car will run without a battery, but good luck starting again it if you turn it off.

Testing a UPS is easy, unplug all the pc equipment, plug in a lamp. With the lamp 'on', unplug the UPS from the wall. If the lamp goes 'out', the UPS is either not working as it should, or it needs new batteries. If the lamp stays 'on' the UPS is working. The lamp should easily remain 'on' for at least 1/2 hour.

Last edited:
Solution