[SOLVED] UPS quick question

HF_ATL

Commendable
Sep 19, 2021
Hi all,

I'm considering getting an UPS.
However something that is not clear to me is the Watt rating.
Let's consider I have a 700W total power consumption to provide power for several equipment's. Some of them are OFF the majority of time.
My understanding is that I can use a 500W UPS for powering all the equipment's (700W total as referred). The limitation of the 500W is ONLY related to the power that the batteries of the UPS can supply if there is a power outage. So if there is no power outage the UPS will pass enough AC current to power all the equipment's providing 700W.

Is this assumption correct? Or there is also limitation on AC input power when there is no power outage?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
There is no power limitation on any decent UPS, they simply have different battery capacities. But the point of a UPS is really for very short power sags or disruptions, not for continuing heavy use of your computer for gaming or whatever. A UPS gives you sufficient time to shut down in an orderly fashion, and any good UPS will have software and a USB connector to the computer to make that an automated action.

Take a look at THIS tool to help you select a model that fits your needs.

And to see what a 700Wh battery (a battery that can deliver 700W for an hour) will cost you, just put in 700W and 1 hour run time, the approximate $2000 price will help you to see that my comment about giving you time for brief...

RealBeast

Titan
There is no power limitation on any decent UPS, they simply have different battery capacities. But the point of a UPS is really for very short power sags or disruptions, not for continuing heavy use of your computer for gaming or whatever. A UPS gives you sufficient time to shut down in an orderly fashion, and any good UPS will have software and a USB connector to the computer to make that an automated action.

And to see what a 700Wh battery (a battery that can deliver 700W for an hour) will cost you, just put in 700W and 1 hour run time, the approximate $2000 price will help you to see that my comment about giving you time for brief interruptions or an orderly shutdown are for a reason. ;)

Solution

HF_ATL

Commendable
Sep 19, 2021

And to see what a 700Wh battery (a battery that can deliver 700W for an hour) will cost you, just put in 700W and 1 hour run time, the approximate $2000 price will help you to see that my comment about giving you time for brief interruptions or an orderly shutdown are for a reason. ;)
Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated!
Now it is clear!