UPS requirement for a 1000W PSU

prateek_03

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I run a gaming pc having i7 4790,16gb ram,zotac gtx 1080 amp extreme edition(which is quite a powerful card),a Z-series motherboard...all powered by a Corsair RM1000.In addition,there are 2 x 140mm front led fans,1 normal fan, and the cpu is cooled by a hydrocooler(H100i v2).At present,the UPS which I'm using is incapable of taking the load.From the day I've install the gpu,it starts to emit a beep sound from the very beginning the pc is turned on.Now,I want to buy a new UPS but cant figure out how much KVA or VA is needed.The monitor is ASUS PG278q which will also draw power from the UPS.These are the components used for daily gaming and watching movies.Any suggestions on the selection of UPS is greatly appreciated.

Solution
To match PSU precisely, you need just over 1000 VA. I would personally get a model with at least 1500 VA from a reputable brand like APC. Specifically, check out the entry level Smart-UPS models. I believe they have a 1500VA model for around $350.

You should be aware that your computer only needs about 550-650 Watts. I would not have gotten a 1000 Watt PSU for that build.
To match PSU precisely, you need just over 1000 VA. I would personally get a model with at least 1500 VA from a reputable brand like APC. Specifically, check out the entry level Smart-UPS models. I believe they have a 1500VA model for around $350.

You should be aware that your computer only needs about 550-650 Watts. I would not have gotten a 1000 Watt PSU for that build.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As an alternative view, let's assume that the nerd 389 is correct in saying the computer would only use 650 W or less. If we then use your PSU's spec of better than 85% efficiency, the computer will consume from its external supply up to 765 W. The monitor is spec's to use 90 W. Total 855 W actual consumption expected.

Then comes desired runtime when power fails. You have not specified, so I'm suspecting your interest is in protection from short-term power disruptions, and not on sustained operation in a failure scenario. With those parameters I looked at the APC site for a simpler unit, and it suggested their APC Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500, which is rated for 865 W or 1500 VA with runtime up to 22 minutes, when operating from a "standard" North American supply of 120 VAC. You can follow your own process like this. You may want to add extra reserve power or runtime. Then search out the unit that actually matches your needs.

I generally avoid using the Back-UPS line for computers. They have a longer switch time than I'm comfortable with for a computer.

That model of Smart UPS (the SMC1500) doesn't have a long run time if you're at full load. I wouldn't game with the power out, to be sure. If you did, it would last perhaps 6 minutes if you include the monitor. I'll assume that you simply want something that allows you to shut everything down safely. To that end, the SMC1500 should be sufficient. In lighter loads, assuming a 200-250 watt draw between the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and computer, the UPS should last roughly 30-35 minutes. If you add in the networking gear, you're looking at about 15-20 minutes.

If you want a longer run time or the ability to back up more devices, things get very expensive very quickly.