Question UPS suggestions (Linux OS), 250W draw

robsco

Reputable
Feb 2, 2018
I'm in need of a UPS as we have some random power drops where I live. My machine is on 24/7.

All desk components (PC, sound + 3 monitors) are already plugged into a surge-protected power strip located nicely under my standing desk , so ideally I want something that will play nicely with that, and be happy powering everything on a single socket (if that's ever an issue?)

According to a power monitor I have plugged in on the current single plug, the total draw is usually ~180W, but sometimes pulls 230W.

I run Linux, and have got apcupsd installed - but pretty sure some of the UPSs don't have the "data port" - is that normal/common, or am I just missing something?

e.g. https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-500VA-230V-AVR-3-IEC-outlets/P-BX500CI

Are the "data ports" also usually Ethernet, and would I use an adapter to convert that to USB for the PC?

I'd like to have plenty of time to run my kit if needed, ie, 20-30 mins if possible.

Something like the following says I'd get 20m of runtime at 180W:

https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products/APC-Back-UPS-Pro-900VA-230V-AVR-LCD-6-IEC-outlets/P-BR900MI

Am I missing anything else? Am I correct in thinking the higher the VA firstly means you can draw more, but also that if you draw less, it'll just last longer? That's been my biggest question when researching. The last UPS I linked says I'd be using 33% capacity at 180W, is that good or bad, or neither?

Thanks,
Rob

Lutfij

Titan
Just so we're all on the same page in terms of power draw/usage, could you parse the specs to your build? Please include the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age. We will also need to know the make and models of the monitors as well as the speaker system. Anything that's drawing power from the wall outlet, needs to be added to your specs's list.

Per your last question, if you do end up getting a larger capacity UPS, you do end up with a longer backup time from said UPS when your power is knocked out.

robsco

Reputable
Feb 2, 2018
I already know it's drawing 180 watts, due to the monitor I have, it's a wall plug and I plug my extension strip into.

Thanks on the latter, I thought/hoped that would be the case, but didn't want to miss anything obvious.