Mar 13, 2019
Hello everyone. First, let me thank you for any and all input. I am starting this thread because I have a question about setting up a network/server for my new business and I am running into a problem. I have purchased an unmanaged network switch to allow my ten team members to have hardlined connections to the company internet. What I would like to do is:

1. Set up a server
  2. Connect server to the network switch
  3. Have server moderate computers connected via the network switch
  4. Allow server to download software on linked computers
  5. Force antivirus download, antivirus/firewall updates, and or application updates
  6. Integrate NAS drives to the server and have those accessible via server/network switch hardline for local backups of work.
  7. Possibly use server as test build environment and have remote access
Also what software would be best for the server; taking into account the things I would like to be done and that all of our equipment is Windows 10 Based?
  1. Microsoft Server 2016 or 2019
  2. Ubuntu OS
  3. Ubuntu Server
  4. Red Hat
  5. Other*
Lastly, I would like to ask if building a server on a tight budget is better than purchasing one and if I would go with server-oriented hardware (Xeon, registered ram, server motherboard) or can I go with decent consumer/gamer grade hardware and still run the server and operations I would like fluidly. To give some more context we are a game development upstart with a few projects in development as we speak.

I also forgot that I would like to have the server force or run a VPN that all of the connect pcs would have access to.

Solution
For business, I don't recommend "build your own" servers. They are the cost of doing business, and I believe in letting the "experts" do it. Call Dell or HP. They have pre-sales technical people that do this for a living. You get parts and support if you buy a prebuilt.
I do recommend different physical servers for the firewall and infrastructure (NAS/Build/Windows Domain). For the reason you listed. You are trying to make it as difficult as possible to be compromised.
As for testing game engine based programs in VMs? Not a clue.

kanewolf

Titan
See embedded responses in RED
Hello everyone. First, let me thank you for any and all input. I am starting this thread because I have a question about setting up a network/server for my new business and I am running into a problem. I have purchased an unmanaged network switch to allow my ten team members to have hardlined connections to the company internet. What I would like to do is:

1. Set up a server
  2. Connect server to the network switch
  3. Have server moderate computers connected via the network switch
    Not sure what this is desiring to do. You could have a server act as a firewall/router between your 10 person team and the internet. You don't want a server between peers. A dedicated firewall OS like PFSense would be best. This would also support your VPN request.
  4. Allow server to download software on linked computers
    Is this to install software or to provide data files?
  5. Force antivirus download, antivirus/firewall updates, and or application updates
    Can be done with Windows group policies
  6. Integrate NAS drives to the server and have those accessible via server/network switch hardline for local backups of work.
    The storage server and the firewall server above should be physically different servers.
    That way if the firewall is compromised the storage server isn't automatically compromised. Your storage and Windows group policies might be best served with Windows Server.
  7. Possibly use server as test build environment and have remote access
    Could be accomplished with one or more VMs
Also what software would be best for the server; taking into account the things I would like to be done and that all of our equipment is Windows 10 Based?
  1. Microsoft Server 2016 or 2019
  2. Ubuntu OS
  3. Ubuntu Server
  4. Red Hat
  5. Other*
Lastly, I would like to ask if building a server on a tight budget is better than purchasing one and if I would go with server-oriented hardware (Xeon, registered ram, server motherboard) or can I go with decent consumer/gamer grade hardware and still run the server and operations I would like fluidly. To give some more context we are a game development upstart with a few projects in development as we speak.

I also forgot that I would like to have the server force or run a VPN that all of the connect pcs would have access to.

Mar 13, 2019
See embedded responses in RED
So for the moderation I requested, I believe the info you've provided is exactly what I was requesting. Sorry for not explaining better. I am glad I can set that up as a firewall with VPN.

For my request surrounding downloading stuff to our PCs, it's for software and for data files. Mainly what I want to do is make sure that the company list of software is installed on all of the computers with proper updates and with the ability of access local area drives for data similar to a college network.

In regards to your input surrounding the separate servers can you elaborate further? I am a bit confused. What I believe your saying is to have a physical server (possibly with NAS drives for local data and file access) and have a firewall server for protection so if the firewall fails your data isn't immediately at risk (though I assume there will always be a potential risk). I ask just in case you mean to separate the server and the NAS drives (like in a NAS storage) instead.

Also in regards to the Virtual Machines is there any reason why that would or could cause potential issues for build and playtesting in unity and unreal engine? I'm sure this is a very specific question and may throw you through a loop but I have to ask.

Lastly, do you have any input on whether to purchase are made server or to build one? Also if I should use server-centric hardware or consumer grade?
My thought process is that if I built the server using consumer grade such as current gen i7 with current gen video card I could run the server well enough for my small team and still have a separate drive with a windows 10 pro build where I can playtest, debug, and compile my titles to the current player standards. I just want reassurance that this is either a good idea or a bad based on some facts that I may not have.

I truly want to thank you for your assistance thus far. I really appreciate it.

kanewolf

Titan
For business, I don't recommend "build your own" servers. They are the cost of doing business, and I believe in letting the "experts" do it. Call Dell or HP. They have pre-sales technical people that do this for a living. You get parts and support if you buy a prebuilt.
I do recommend different physical servers for the firewall and infrastructure (NAS/Build/Windows Domain). For the reason you listed. You are trying to make it as difficult as possible to be compromised.
As for testing game engine based programs in VMs? Not a clue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS