Urgent Advice please

Seighart0

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Well tomorrow am going to buy the parts for my gaming rig but there is a thing regarding windows which is bugging me.

Like most of gamers who don't want windows 8 because of it being disaster. I don't want it either because I think it will lay waste on my high end system.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ABeS

I want to buy windows 7 retail but as Microsoft stop selling retail for 7 I am not sure what happens if i try to install it on my pc.

From the guy whom am buying my pc says he have windows 7 pro retail,but am afraid that he might sell me oem or pirated because of its unavailability.

So I wanna know how will I know if the windows during installation phase is OEM or Retail version.

Because I will ask the seller to assemble my pc and install the windows,I want to know how I will know hes not cheating on me by installing an OEM version.

Solution

You are correct in saying that's what I recommend you to do. If you really want to get a copy of a legit windows 7 it might cost you, but here's a...
I would order your own parts and put it together w/the OS. It's not too hard to do and is very rewarding too. I'd also change some of your parts, if this is going to be mainly based around gaming. I included the 4670k, so you can OC it later if you like, otherwise I'd recommend the i5 4430 for around $185.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB ACX Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1330.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-29 09:07 EDT-0400)

I upgraded the Storage, GPU, and the Case from your original build. I don't know what country your ordering from, but if it's from within the U.S. than you can order these yourself and put it together pretty quickly.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
OEM is the same exact thing as the full retail version. The difference? Its in its TOS. The OEM version is tied to your pc's motherboard meaning you can replace every single component in your pc so long as the motherboard remains the same its fine. There is a clause that you can replace a faulty motherboard and still use your cd key but its suggested to use the same exact mobo if at all possible. The full retail version you can reinstall as many times as you want so long as that windows is only active and installed on 1 machine. The price difference between the oem and the full version is $100 so most pc builders use the oem as its cheaper for them as well as the customer.

Seighart0

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Unfortunately I don't live in america therefore if i import them there is too much warranty issue. As much I want to assemble my pc myself,I am not allowed to do so by my father because he say its the responsibility of the part seller to replace any part if it is defective at the time of assembling.And I know the difference b/w OEM and retail.The thing is if my mobo die after 3 year,I wouls not be interested in using a 3 year old outdated mobo. And then I will have to buy windows again that would cost me new mobo+the new windows.

So I just wanna know if there is a way to know if windows is OEM or Retail at the time or before installing.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The oem some have had no problem using their oem key to reactivate windows while others have had problems so its a gamble. The only way to really know is to ask the people who are selling you the pc. 9 times out of 10 it is the oem version as that is the cheapest. And if you had read what i wrote i explained that there is a clause that if the motherboard is damaged then replacing the motherboard and explaining to them that it was damaged then usually they will reactivate windows for you. And motherboards get discontinued all the time so replacing it with the same name or make of the board is not always possible so in their tos they state that it can be reactivated in those situations.

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

I don't see the problem for getting an OEM version of window 7 for you. As long as it works that's all that matters. The only problem I see with your build is that you are using a 1tb hdd. That will bottleneck your entire system I guarantee you. I strongly recommend you to get at least a 128gb SSD for the boot drive at least.

Seighart0

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
To tell you the truth my pc is costing me around 95k in my currency that is 1650$, if i was in america it would cost me around 1.2k$. My father said I can buy all those parts.Also I don't want to compromise on anything less than best available but am at the limit of my budget and I don't want to cross that 100k mark in my currency.

Also if take ur advice and go for oem it will cost me 89k,though I don't know what exactly ssd will do and how much it matters for performance.But the cheapest SanDisk ssd cost 3k in my country and install my windows in it if that is what you trying to say.

finalruner

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

You are correct in saying that's what I recommend you to do. If you really want to get a copy of a legit windows 7 it might cost you, but here's a link to one. However, there's no way to be sure if it's real, but if it's fake you can always open up a dispute with amazon. Here's a link to a SSD I recommend for you if you have the money and a boot drive tutorial. Btw an SSD is just a faster way of storage, than of a hard drive in the most simple terms.
Windows 7:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Ultimate-Old-Version/dp/B002DHGMVY
SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147251
SSD boot tutorial
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272041-32-install

Solution