Question Urgent.. Buzzing noise from newly built pc, possibly fried because of no standoffs?

Aug 30, 2020
So i just build a pc alone for the first time. I thought i had everything installed, however after connecting the power to the PSU and flipping the switch, i started hearing buzzing. I turned it off immediately and im not usre why. I started looking around and apparentely you need standoffs for the motherboard?

My old motherboard i took out didnt use any standoffs so i didnt know that you needed them. I never tried to turn the pc on yet, just flipping the psu switch on. My motherboard is a tuf x570 plus. I dont even think it came with standoffs. Besides the standoffs tho, is there a reason the computer would be buzzing when i turn on the psu switch?

Edit: are any of these standoffs?
20200830_012025.jpg

I have a seasonic focus gx750, and its making a high pitched noise for about 4-5 seconda, then stops for 2 and repeats again and again. This is just with the power supply switch turned on, not the pc

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
that's called coil noise.
sometimes it appears when a PSU is bad, sometimes it's just annoying.

usually a coil noise appears at high charge. I would be worried by a coil noise heared just by switching the PSU on.
if everything is new and ordered on amazon i would just return it

IMHO your focus on the standoffs is off-topic.
to be sure just pull the PSU and motherboard out of the case and test. (install the motherboard on a non conductive material, like it's own cardboard box)

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
No, these are standoffs...
71eGHclyZdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Three_types_of_standoffs.jpg

Most are silver or black. I've never actually seen gold before, but this is what Google had... anyway, you get the idea. They are usually attached to the case already. I don't see how you could even screw the motherboard in securely, and leave enough room for the the cpu cooler's rear brace, without standoffs. What did you screw the mobo into?