[SOLVED] [Urgent] Can I run an Ethernet Cable under Laminate (Hardwood) Flooring?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
I am planning on replacing all the carpet in my house with laminate flooring and have already done so for the most of the house except my office. I don't want to use wifi because there will be MANY people using it and ethernet would be faster for my needs but I'm not sure if using a Shielded flat ethernet cable would be a good idea if I were to run it along the wall(underneath the foot of the wall?), under the laminate flooring. I don't want to have any exposed wires as the router is in the middle of the hallway outside my office. I can send pictures of the foot of the wall that I am talking about just in case It isn't clear as I don't know the actual name of that part of the wall. And in case it matters: I've been using a foam underlay for the laminate. Thanks for all the help!

(Cable I'm using)
https://www.amazon.ca/Shielded-Ethe...1600578930&sprefix=shielded+et,aps,193&sr=8-5

Solution
First you need to not get scammed by the bigger number is better. Most people cat5e is good enough. It will run to 1gbit. If you need 10gbit then you buy cat6a. You can buy cat6 cable (ie not "a") if it is cheaper than cat5e but it is still rated to 1gbit.

You likely will never find a flat cable that meets the specs. First they almost all use thin wire and the wire pairs in addition the the wires in the pair must be twisted. Flat cables even if they twist the wires in the pair do not twist the different pairs. The so called cat7 spec has very specific requirements on how the pairs are twist.

Amazon is a nightmear to find cable. The vast majority is fake cable. I suspect the legit cable sellers have a hard time...

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
Nothing maybe less money in your wallet. It is the ports that control how the cable is used. The cable itself only runs as fast as the ports you connect to it. As long as the cable meets the specs for the ports it will function. Since gigabit is less demanding cable that is rated to run 10g will run 1g....or even 10mbits if you were to hook up really old equipment.

This is what some people call "future proof" but tech changes so fast. People used to say you should run SVHS to furture proof and now everything is HDMI. The current one is WIFI6 that is already outdated with the soon to come much better wifi6e.
Would this be ideal as well? https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Cat...ix=monoprice+ethe,electronics,196&sr=1-7&th=1

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
No. Notice that is says 30AWG. That is smaller wire than is allowed by spec.
Hm well thats an issue. I'm trying to find a flat cable that is from monoprice and suits the specs but I just can't seem to find one. I guess it might just not be possible for flat cables which is going to be needed for fitting under baseboards.

How would I be able to test if the cablecreation one is legitimate and certified?
Easy--don't buy from Amazon and buy direct from cable creation. If they don't have their own site and direct purchases, they're not legit enough to do business with.

Honestly, your best bet on a quality cable is literally an office supply store, walmart, bestbuy or any other local retailer that carries cables. Their distributors won't carry junk because high return rates cost money so that's your filter. When I'm in pinch, I buy local.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am planning on replacing all the carpet in my house with laminate flooring and have already done so for the most of the house except my office. I don't want to use wifi because there will be MANY people using it and ethernet would be faster for my needs but I'm not sure if using a Shielded flat ethernet cable would be a good idea if I were to run it along the wall(underneath the foot of the wall?), under the laminate flooring. I don't want to have any exposed wires as the router is in the middle of the hallway outside my office. I can send pictures of the foot of the wall that I am talking about just in case It isn't clear as I don't know the actual name of that part of the wall. And in case it matters: I've been using a foam underlay for the laminate. Thanks for all the help!

(Cable I'm using)
https://www.amazon.ca/Shielded-Ethernet-Ineternet-snagless-Connector/dp/B07H3RRYJD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3CL12FF49HCH0&dchild=1&keywords=shielded+ethernet+cable&qid=1600578930&sprefix=shielded+et,aps,193&sr=8-5
If you have good power in your house I think I would be looking at a powerline kit instead of running a cable under your flooring, or just have your cable connection installed in the office.

EDIT If nothing else run the cable up into the attic and down into the office!!!!!!!!!

Under the flooring would be a big NO to me.

If their actually just one wall in the way then you could put a outlet on the wall on both sides and be finished.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS