[URGENT] "Failure Configuring Windows Update" [URGENT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkeboy

Reputable
May 12, 2015
THIS IS AN URGENT THREAD! PLEASE READ! Sorry If This Is In The Wrong Section.

Hello guys, my computer has been stuck on the "failure configuring windows update" screen for around 8 hours now. To get past this I have re boot my computer and while rebooting hold "Shift and F9".

This will then bring me to a recovery screen. If I try to refresh/restart my PC it tells me I need to "Insert your window installation or recovery media to continue". I don't know think I have either of these.

If I try to do a system restore it always fails, I've tried 3 times. System Image fails too.
Start up repair as well as startup settings just loops me. I NEED HELP!

I HAVE TONS OF WORK TO DO! THANK YOU. I'VE TRIED 5+ tutorials on Youtube.

Solution
If Command Prompt is an option in the recovery console, open that up and type the following commands, pressing enter after each command.

cd /d %windir%
rd /s SoftwareDistribution

If you get "Access is denied", type "net stop wuauserv" (Without the quotation marks.), then try the 2nd command again.

You could also try getting into safe mode and running the same commands.

As for the PC Refresh/Reset, if your PC shipped with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 from a manufacturer, such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, or Acer etc, you will likely not need a recovery CD. Most OEMs have a recovery partition that can be used to recover an unbootable system. If those commands do not work, try the refresh/reset option and if that fails, look for a system factory...

Benkberg97

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
If Command Prompt is an option in the recovery console, open that up and type the following commands, pressing enter after each command.

cd /d %windir%
rd /s SoftwareDistribution

If you get "Access is denied", type "net stop wuauserv" (Without the quotation marks.), then try the 2nd command again.

You could also try getting into safe mode and running the same commands.

As for the PC Refresh/Reset, if your PC shipped with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 from a manufacturer, such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, or Acer etc, you will likely not need a recovery CD. Most OEMs have a recovery partition that can be used to recover an unbootable system. If those commands do not work, try the refresh/reset option and if that fails, look for a system factory recovery/restore option. The manufacturer's website will tell you where the option for factory recovery is.

Hope this helps

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.