***URGENT*** FasterMemory than needed

gouletpo

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
I was planning on building my first computer, but with Christmas coming soon and different repairs I had to make to my car, I've decided to post-pone it until I get more money. However, I was thinking to still ask my girlfriend to get me some of the parts for my Christmas gifts. My question now is the following :

If she buys me 2x1gb of DD2 1066 for my future computer, will it work in my old socket939, witch only supports DDR memory ? I know it wouldn't use all the speed the memory could give me until I upgrade to a E6750, but would it still work because I currently only have 1gb of memory.

I would also have her buy a new hard drive that I could still use until I upgrade. Same question, SATA2 in SATA ?

thank you all !

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
ddr2 memory will not work in ddr based boards...They have a different amount of pins, it wouldn't fit.

SATA2 hard drives will work in SATA1 mobos. I have sata 3 hard drives running in my sata1 board right now, there are jumpers on the hard drive to use SATA3.0gb or a SATA 1.5gb interface.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hi,
DDR2 will not work in a DDR motherboard.The SATA2 HD will work on your SATA interface. You might have to adjust a jumper on the hard drive though to enable it to work on your SATA interface.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Lol....sorry. I guess we were typing that around the same time.