Question (URGENT) GPU Stuck on slot

criticalimpactftw

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
I'm literally so stressed right now, just wanted to remove the GPU to clean it and now it is stuck on the butterfly lock on the Mobo, on a side, read most of posts and just won't come out or come back in again, it's on a angle and I don't want to move it as it makes a weird sound but the GPU is still kinda loose I don't know what to do it's late and I'm stressing the f out, tried pushing it with a chopstick nope, back in place it just won't do that, and by force it started to kinda bend the mobo it's a new gpu too aaaaaaarg

InvalidError

Titan
There are a few different styles of PCIe retention tabs. Some are just a little tab molded directly into the slot that you have to push sideways to disengage, some are a sliding cradle on guides that you have to slide back, others are a bit like levers similar to many DIMM slots that you have to push away to disengage and pop the card out.

You really should have at least provided the motherboard model so people could look it up.

More likely than not, your motherboard's manual will have a paragraph about (un)installing GPUs.

Reactions: Cokacola14

Cokacola14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
There are a few different styles of PCIe retention tabs. Some are just a little tab molded directly into the slot that you have to push sideways to disengage, some are a sliding cradle on guides that you have to slide back, others are a bit like levers similar to many DIMM slots that you have to push away to disengage and pop the card out.

You really should have at least provided the motherboard model so people could look it up.

More likely than not, your motherboard's manual will have a paragraph about (un)installing GPUs.
i believe its one of them lil wiggley plastic ones and it fell out of its track slightly locking it!

Got it out, didn't damage anything, I pushed it down with the chopstick as hard as I could and it popped out. By the way it someone else has the problem the Mobo is a STRIX B460-H GAMING
Glas to hear!

Cheers mate

stress stinks!

InvalidError

Titan
he said it is stuck locked.
i believe its one of them lil wiggley plastic ones and it fell out of its track slightly locking it!
Well, OP provided his motherboard model and from the looks of it, it is a lever-style lock similar to levered DIMM slots. You push the GPU in, that presses the bottom of the lever piece and pops the lock in place, then you push the lock down/away to lever the GPU out.

If the GPU slot is tight, you may need 10+lbf to pop the GPU out and when you have something like a 0.5" lever to push against, that can end up feeling super dodgy.

Reactions: Cokacola14

Cokacola14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
Well, OP provided his motherboard model and from the looks of it, it is a lever-style lock similar to levered DIMM slots. You push the GPU in, that presses the bottom of the lever piece and pops the lock in place, then you push the lock down/away to lever the GPU out.

If the GPU slot is tight, you may need 10+lbf to pop the GPU out and when you have something like a 0.5" lever to push against, that can end up feeling super dodgy.
10+ibf being poundforce, the average tighten of a lugnut for a car is 50+ , we call it torque on american cars though haha! not to be confused with ib for just pound! this is different! :)

TRENDING THREADS