URGENT: Graphics card refusing to send signal to monitor.

volkerball3011

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello all,

I was playing a game earlier tonight(Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands) when the game froze. I alt-tabbed out to try to kill the process, but then my whole PC froze. I tried to coldboot, and it at first refused to shut down, then refused to reboot for a good 10 minutes. Once I got it to do so, the computer would only feed a signal through my integrated graphics, to the TV behind my monitor. All attempts to switch to my card result in Windows 10 telling me they can't find my card.

I shut my PC down, opened it up, re-seated my graphics card and all my connections, and tried again. Same thing. The card doesn't even show up in my device manager, and I really don't know what else to try here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
GPU: Radeon R9 380
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC Mate
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz

volkerball3011

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner. Several other (non-PC-related) things came up, and it seems I never got any notifications from the site. :(

As for my problem... after about a day of this behavior, I once again dismantled my PC, dusted every nook and cranny out even more aggressively, dusted out every single port and re-seated every connection, then blasted the hell out of my card's PCI slot with my air duster. I then put everything back to where it was, closed it all up, fired it up, and... it's working normally again. I haven't had a single issue since. So I don't know what caused my initial problem, but I'll certainly be vigilant/paranoid from here on out.

I don't think my PSU was the issue, as it's still relatively new, and I got it specifically to handle this new GPU, but you never know. I'll be keeping an eye on that too.

Thank you both for your answers and help, and sorry for wasting a thread on a problem that ended up resolving itself.