URGENT-HD 7770 Issue-URGENT

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I bought a Diamond hd 7770 installed it in my pcie x 16 slot and plugged in the 6 pin power connector and my pc does not boot instead my enermqx psu beeps ovee and over. Please help me out I have no Idea whats wrong guys :(

My specs
Proccesor: i5 2320 quad core 3.00ghz
Graphics(onboard): Intel hd 2000/family
Motherboard: Acer IPISB-VR 1.01
PSU: Enermax infiniti 720W
Hard Drive: 500 GB

Please Help Out Guys :(

Solution

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

This is a good thread when it comes to PSU's. It rates PSU's in tiers from one to five. Many users are operating under the misnomer that if you buy a unit with high wattage it will serve your needs. But this breaks down each series and why it's categorized inferior , superior, or mid range.

Buying PC components is one of the more annoying endeavors you'll ever undertake. There are a million naming schemes out there designed to confuse and manipulate you into thinking because you've purchased a model with a higher number you've chosen the better of two choices. I recommend at least 6 hours of research before...
I'd start by getting a good PSU. Yours was good when it was new, which was like 9 years ago, but you can't expect a 9 year old unit to reliably power a high end graphics card. I would however double check that you've completed all the connections including both motherboard power cables and then double or triple check everything else as listed here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

If all of that is good, then you either have a degraded PSU, a bad card or a faulty motherboard.

If it works with the onboard graphics, make sure you're changing the location of the monitor cable to the new card and that ALL power connections to the GPU card are plugged in.

Does the card display in the pre-windows environment or not display at all period?

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I checked all cables and they are on. Plus my PSU was bought online brand new just 4 months ago. The problem is the pc wont boot when I put the 6 pin power in the gpu instead my psu starts beeping in intervals of 2 and the led on the psu turns red.

You may have just bought that unit 4 months ago, but I can assure you that the chances of it being new are pretty slim. That unit was begun in 2007 and the MOST recent review of it was in 2009. Seems it has been discontinued for a very long time, so it's either been sitting on somebody's shelf or was not in fact new. PSU scam artists are active all the time.

Still, you could have an entirely different issue but I'd be very suspect of that unit. Second thing is, I've never, EVER, heard a power supply beep. The motherboard beeps to tell you there is an error code. I'd count the number of beeps and see what that error code is according to the information available for your motherboard which should lead you to what the problem is. I'm guessing it's probably going to be either a RAM or GPU card issue.

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I found out that the motherboard beeps in 2 times over and and over meaning the PSU turns on power protection, what i dont understand is why does the PSU turn on power protection when the graphics card is powered but when I dont supply the graphics card power the pc boots perfectly fine without beeping or any other issue.

There is a problem with your graphics card. Most likely, it has a short. It could also be a bad cable from the PSU to the graphics card, or a problem with THAT particular circuit that powers the PEG cabling on the power supply itself.

I'd start by testing the power supply. You are using the 6/8 pin PEG cables and NOT using 4 pin Molex with adapters, right?

You can test the PSU as follows, but in all probability if there is an overload problem with the power cables connected to the graphics card then either the card is bad or the PSU is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I definetly know its the PSU because I have trouble turning the PSU on, 95% of the time the psu led turns red and the motherboard starts beeping and thats only with my stock components not with the hd 7770 plugged in, so I am positive I have a degraded psu like you mentioned. As far what I should do now I am buying a 725W cooler master extreme 2 psu from a friend. Ay recomendations or advice dark breeze. Also thank you very much for all your help you are awesome the only person out of thousands to help me out your the best on this forum no doubt.

I would not do that. It's a terrible unit. This is what Gabe from Hardware Secrets had to say about the Extreme II 425w unit, and the other models in the series are no better, at all.

We think it is simply ridiculous that in this day and age there are still well-known brands labeling power supplies with fake wattages. In the case of the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W, we can clearly see that this was done deliberately, as the product box and label list “475” without the letter “W” or the word “Watts” after it, probably to protect themselves in the case of an eventual lawsuit, by claiming that “475” is the “model” of the power supply, not its wattage. However, the manufacturer’s website clearly lists this unit as being a 475 W model. Of course, we are against this kind of practice, and Cooler Master may face problems with agencies in charge of regulating the power supply market around the world.

Even if this unit were labeled with its real wattage (430 W), it would still be a bad choice. Voltages drop below the minimum allowed, and noise and ripple levels can increase above the maximum allowed, causing your computer to behave erratically. Also, this unit presents low efficiency.

There are better power supplies at the same wattage costing less.

In summary, we must recommend that you stay away from this power supply.

And that's the result of a brand new one, not a used one that somebody already found out was terrible and was trying to offload onto to somebody else.

With the exception of a very few high dollar units, power supplies sold by Cooler Master, Corsair and Thermaltake, just to name a couple of the well known brands that are crap, should be avoided. They are poor quality units with liar labels or poor capacitor selection, in most cases. The Extreme II series is NOT one from Cooler Master I'd recommend, if I recommended any of their units at all, which I don't.

You'd be much better off to save whatever amount it is he's selling it to you for and buying a decent, reliable unit, that will last you years and years of trouble free service. You want something that's tier 1 or 2 here:

If you need a specific recommendation to fit a particular budget, let me know, I'll be glad to make one.

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

I am definetly not getting cooler master now for sure but instead I plan to get a Corsair TX 750W is that any better(Reviews I have seen tell me it a decent psu, not too good not too bad), I would love to hear your oppinion on getting the corsair before I actually buy it. :)

Are you planning to buy the TX750 new or used? I don't see it available new anywhere anymore, as I believe that unit is discontinued. I would not buy a used power supply unless I knew or trusted the person well enough that they were welcome at my mother's house for Christmas dinner, and maybe not then.

How much are you planning to pay for that TX750, and will it be new or used?

IF the unit is good, then that's a good deal. The TX is a pretty fair unit. Plus, if it's less than 5 years old I THINK it's under warranty still. Might not be a bad option considering the price.

For myself, I'd rather pay a few more bucks and do this and have a full warranty and a brand new unit that I KNOW shouldn't have any issues coming with it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $55.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 17:42 EST-0500

But either way, if that used unit IS in good shape, it should be fine and IS a good enough model.

Negativelead

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

This is a good thread when it comes to PSU's. It rates PSU's in tiers from one to five. Many users are operating under the misnomer that if you buy a unit with high wattage it will serve your needs. But this breaks down each series and why it's categorized inferior , superior, or mid range.

Buying PC components is one of the more annoying endeavors you'll ever undertake. There are a million naming schemes out there designed to confuse and manipulate you into thinking because you've purchased a model with a higher number you've chosen the better of two choices. I recommend at least 6 hours of research before buying any part.

And one more small piece of advice. I understand everyone has to individualize their trade off between economic preservation and quality, but in the grand scheme of things try to spend the extra 20 or 50$ when you can. A good product, even in the PC world (YES!Believe it or not) you will appreciate more as time passes. If you make a poor choice, it will not take long before you find yourself doubting your purchase.

Solution

HarshGanja

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Just found out that my hd 7770 diamond card was not working at all mo fan spinning or power going through. Will a hd 6950 serve my needs. I plan to play fps games like cod or battlefield anywhere from medium to high graphics. I mostly play fps games so anywhere from med to high is good for me. I also plan to flash the bios to 6970 so I can unlock all the shaders.

Are you planning to buy that card new or used? I never recommend buying a used card because you usually have no idea what the history of abuse or use is, plus used cards usually sell at about 75% of new cost but you only tend to see about 50% of return for your investment since the majority of the cards expected lifespan of 3-5 years is generally already come and gone. And that's if there's not actually a problem with the card that was the reason the person moved to a newer card in the first place and is now selling that one.

Save your money and invest in a new card would be my advice. You'll be much happier in the long run. Graphics cards are the primary component you want to avoid buying used.